• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Am I being Scammed? Statue of Limitations on Car Damage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gretel2005

What is the name of your state? CA

Hello. On 7/3/2002, my car rolled into another car and left a scratch across the bumper. I asked to exchange insurance info, but they were in a hurry and told me that they didn't have the time.
This was with a coworker, so I then told them to get an estimation so I could pay.

I repeatedly asked over the next year, and no estimation was given.

Then, I assumed it was over.

2 years later, I was approached about the accident, I asked for an estimation or a receipt. None was provided. I was told that they would get it "soon".

I no longer work for that company.
Just 2 weeks ago, I received multiple calls and emails about the damage. It has just been repaired this week and now I have the receipt and am asked to pay it.

What is the statue of limitations?
I asked for confirmation from the mechanic that this damage could not have been exacerbated in the past 3 years. I haven't received this information yet. He has been repeatedly calling me and emailing me, sometimes several times a day.

Does anyone know what I should do or how I should proceed? I do not want to be scammed. Should I just contact my insurance company and go through them?

Please provide any advice. From now on, I don't care how busy they are! I'm taking down their plate if they don't give me insurance info!

Yuke

gretel2005 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Hello. On 7/3/2002, my car rolled into another car and left a scratch across the bumper. I asked to exchange insurance info, but they were in a hurry and told me that they didn't have the time.
This was with a coworker, so I then told them to get an estimation so I could pay.

I repeatedly asked over the next year, and no estimation was given.

Then, I assumed it was over.

2 years later, I was approached about the accident, I asked for an estimation or a receipt. None was provided. I was told that they would get it "soon".

I no longer work for that company.
Just 2 weeks ago, I received multiple calls and emails about the damage. It has just been repaired this week and now I have the receipt and am asked to pay it.

What is the statue of limitations?
I asked for confirmation from the mechanic that this damage could not have been exacerbated in the past 3 years. I haven't received this information yet. He has been repeatedly calling me and emailing me, sometimes several times a day.

Does anyone know what I should do or how I should proceed? I do not want to be scammed. Should I just contact my insurance company and go through them?

Please provide any advice. From now on, I don't care how busy they are! I'm taking down their plate if they don't give me insurance info!
A mechanic is calling you about a repair he did on someone else's car? :confused:

gretel2005

No... the man who's car I damaged 3 years ago just got the repairs fixed this weekend by a mechanic. I asked him to get written confirmation from the mechanic, describing the damage and explaining whether or not he thought that the damage could have become worse in the 3 years since the accident.

I have only spoken to the man who's car I damaged.

Does that help?

stephenk

turn it over to your own insurance company to handle unless you want to pay for the damage. there is a 3 year statute of limitation for property damage in California.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">