• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with auto insurance coverage mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catlady

What is the name of your state? AR.

We have our house and auto insurance with this one agency in town. When we bought our daughter a car a month ago, I went in there to get coverage, asked for the coverage I needed (collision etc.) and they gave me an 'evidence of insurance coverage' note. My daughter unfortunately wrecked her car on Friday, she collided with another car and hers is totalled. When speaking to the insurance company, they informed me to my shock that in fact we are only covered for liability. I believe the insurance agency are to blame, I clearly asked for collision coverage, but they are denying responsibility and saying we have to bear the whole loss ourselves. They did send policy documents out a couple of weeks ago, which I had not gotten around to reading, as I have just returned from overseas. Is there anything we can do?

It is the insured's reponsibility to read the dec pages and ascertain that the coverages requested are what was issued. Unless you have something in writing to your agent specifically requesting collision coverage, how do you intend to prove you asked for it?

catlady

The fact is that I have no proof. It is my word against theirs. I take it you believe I have no chance of getting anywhere?

Last edited:

moburkes

Because you are the one responsible for reading YOUR policy, you probably can't get anywhere. You have no proof. The other thing is that you specifically mention collision, but not comprehenive. Many companies won't sell collision without comprehensive. What does the evidence of coverage "note" say? I've never heard of that. Does it show coverages purchased? What's the year, make, model of the vehicle, and how old is your daughter?

Yes, it is my opinion that you won't get anywhere with a cause of action against your agent. Collision is usually the highest part of your premium, so the agent may have thought you did not want it. Many people forego collision in order to save money. Like I said, unless you have some proof of having asked for it, it would be your word against his. How old is the vehicle?

moburkes

InsuranceLadyAZ said:
Yes, it is my opinion that you won't get anywhere with a cause of action against your agent. Collision is usually the highest part of your premium, so the agent may have thought you did not want it. Many people forego collision in order to save money. Like I said, unless you have some proof of having asked for it, it would be your word against his. How old is the vehicle?
We're on the same page. That's why I was asking the other questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">