• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! being sued for $500k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamvarbi

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NY
I ran into the back of a vehicle in an "unsavory" neighborhood. The car was stopped dead in the middle of the street.
Both vehicles suffered minor damage. Four guys got out of the car (I think it was one of those cab services?) who didn't speak any English, from what I could understand, I thought the situation was resolved and I left. About a month later I recieved a summons that myself, the driver of the other vehicle and another passenger in the vehicle were being sued for $500,000 EACH!! In the papers it states that the person suing was "treated and released" from the hospital. I saw absolutely no injuries to anyone! I am being sued for negligence. Apparently this guy won't settle for what my insurance company is offering. Does this amount sound Unreasonable, what can I do to protect myself? Does this case have legs? Help please!!!!!!!

Z

zappy

Why not call Immigration and see if these guys are illegals?

Then call the NY state insurance commissioners office and say you've stumbled upon a insurance scam with potential illegal aliens...

Leaving a car in the middle of the street to hit is INSURANCE FRAUD and its designed to rake in the big bucks....

Sounds like the newspapers will love this story and so will the police.

Have fun....watching these yo-yo's get carted off to jail or deported!

JETX

Sounds like 'Zappy' should change his name to 'zippy'. Not a single one of his sentences has any standing in law.

"Why not call Immigration and see if these guys are illegals?"
*** Yeah, right. INS is going to tell you anything.

"Then call the NY state insurance commissioners office and say you've stumbled upon a insurance scam with potential illegal aliens..."
*** Why?? The Insurance commissioner doesn't investigate insurance fraud!!

"Leaving a car in the middle of the street to hit is INSURANCE FRAUD and its designed to rake in the big bucks...."
*** Leaving the car in the middle of the street with no lights is both stupid and a violation of the law... but not prima facie evidence of an insurance scam!!

"Sounds like the newspapers will love this story and so will the police."
*** Yeah, they will 'love' it alright. Since it will definitely make their "you're not going to believe THIS one! memo file".

"Have fun....watching these yo-yo's get carted off to jail or deported!"
*** Too stupid to even respond to.

Jam: You have been sued. Contact your insurance company and let them know of the lawsuit.

Z

zappy

Tsk tsk Jetx.....

They pay those people to sit in the car and wait till they get hit, then claim all sorts of injuries.

Its been on the news all last year and its getting worse, some actually stop short, or serve and cause accidents, but they found out there is less deaths or injury to the occupants if the car is sitting still with no lights on a dark street.

They still can make money which is still a fraud, but not as much as if they really get hurt staging accidents!

JETX

Zippy, aka Franklin etal.
Your off your meds again!!

You are posting some more of your imaginary 'what if' stuff that got you sent to the home last time, remember??

J

jamvarbi

the illegal alien thing did cross my mind, but figured that they wouldn't be that stupid! can an illegal alien sue someone??
this case has gone to an outside law firm for my insurance company, because he wouldn't settle with my insurance company. should i get my own attorney? in the papers it said i was negligent for leaving the scene of an accident. can this guy take my house, etc. from what i could see that night, he didn't look very injured to me, does he need proof of his injuries?

i feel like this could get out of hand!! can it?

B

Boxcarbill

jamvarbi said:
the illegal alien thing did cross my mind, but figured that they wouldn't be that stupid! can an illegal alien sue someone??
I want to respond to your question above regarding illegal alien rights and leave others to respond to the insurance law."

The earliest Supreme Court ruling that found the 14th Amendment to protect a "person" regardless of their citizenry is YICK WO v. HOPKINS, 118 U.S. 356 (1886) http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=case&court=us&vol=118&invol=356">

"The fourteenth amendment to the constitution is not confined to the protection of citizens. It says: 'Nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.' These provisions are universal in their application, to all persons within the territorial jurisdiction, without regard to any differences of race, of color, or of nationality; and the equal protection of the laws is a pledge of the protection of equal laws."
YICK WO v. HOPKINS, 118 U.S. 356 (1886)

JETX

"the illegal alien thing did cross my mind, but figured that they wouldn't be that stupid! can an illegal alien sue someone??"
*** I doubt that an interplanetary one would have the right, unless they could prove that they were a 'person', but a foreign national certainly has the right to sue.

"this case has gone to an outside law firm for my insurance company, because he wouldn't settle with my insurance company."
*** The reason it went to an 'outside law firm' is to get representation FOR you. The fact that the injured party wouldn't accept your insurance offer is NOT a negative.

"should i get my own attorney?"
*** Why?? The insurance company has already gotten one for you. You seem to NOT understand what the insurance company is doing. Ask them.

"in the papers it said i was negligent for leaving the scene of an accident. can this guy take my house, etc."
*** If they get a judgment against you, and the judgment is not paid, they can use the judgment to seize your non-exempt assets. But it cannot be done without a jugdment..... which is a long way away.

"from what i could see that night, he didn't look very injured to me, does he need proof of his injuries?"
*** Of course he will..... if this gets to court.

"i feel like this could get out of hand!! can it?"
*** Sounds to me like it all got 'out of hand' when you "thought the situation was resolved and I left."

J

jamvarbi

home guru

HomeGuru said:
Good response.
yeah it was a good response, but i could do without the sarcasm, its demeaning and unnecessary, don't you think? i recommend blue sky law for janx.

JETX

"yeah it was a good response, but i could do without the sarcasm,"

Tough. As noted many, many times on this forum.... We do not hold-hands. We do not 'molly-coddle'. We are not your Aunt Sarah or Uncle Bob. This is NOT the 'Oprah' forum.

The purpose of this forum is to "provide legal information and general advice". This was done in your case (with the exception of 'the forum troll').

If you disagree with the opinions offered, note your disagreement and provide support for your opinion. However, if you disagree with the WAY it was offered. Tough.

Normally, most of the senior members ignore posts by NewYukkers and that ilk. This is because, no matter how inciteful and accurate a response, they're nature is to be arrogant and disrespectful. They have a tendency to bitch, cry and whine... no matter WHAT the response or its accuracy.

J

jamvarbi

shame on you

you proved MY point in your last post!

PLEASE stay where you are and DON'T come to new yukk

case closed

HomeGuru

Re: shame on you

jamvarbi said:
you proved MY point in your last post!

PLEASE stay where you are and DON'T come to new yukk

case closed

**A: Dear jammedbarbie,
the case is not closed as you are still being sued for $500K each.

Z

zappy

An Its STILL an Illegal Alien scam to make $$$$$$$.....

Thats how i would persue it.

JETX

Hell, zappy. You can't even pursue a flippin' job!! How do you propose to pursue a lawsuit??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">