• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! being sued, but not my fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

majorheadache

What is the name of your state? connecticut / massachusets

What is the name of your state? connecticut / massachusetts

I live in CT, but had an accident in MA last year of this time. Another vehicle came into my lane. I called for hte cops to come, but they were reluctant, and when they finally did, they refused to write a report. they said Mass is a "no-fault" state and reports do not get written. Our insurance would take care of it, and adjustors would be sent out. Adjustors were never sent. I called my insurance as well as their insurance to report that very night. I kept calling her insurance to see if she ever called in, but for months, she never did. My insurance told me that I will recover my $500 deductible and not to worry about it anymore. I told my insurance that they kept saying their "head, back, etc" and "wait until their atty hear about this". But they assured me that everything will be fine because I had about $1k worth of damage and the other party had a few scuff marks. It was also not my fault. they said they will get an atty for me to get my deductible. Now, a year later, I am being sued by the other party, and supposedly 3 people were hurt, but only one filed for lawsuit..so far. i still haven't gotten my deductible, and an atty was just assigned to me today. I got the other insurance phone number for my insurance as well at the time. Now my insurance also told me that they never got in touch iwht the other party! I didnt' think they could sue because it was a no fault state (now i know different) and because there was such little damage to her vehicle,no tickets were issued, *and* because it was her fault.

My main concern is am I liable for the amount htat is over my CT state limit of 20/40? I read somewhere that my insurance gets bumped up to whatever Mass's PIP minimium is. Is that true?

the car is in my name, but I live wiht my parents, are their property in jeopardy?

Will my insurance go up if they "settle" even though i am NOT at fault?

should i get an atty of my own?

Can my insurance get in trouble for not following up during the past year? (i was supposed to have an atty sooner, they were supposed to contact the other party, they told me they woudl get a report from the two cops I had spoken to...none of these they did)

their atty sent me a form to fill out, but shouldn't they fill out the same form as well and send a copy to me too?

should i be concerned that the atty representing me is in RI, and the accident was in MA? Should I request for a MA atty? who would be more knowledgeable about MA laws? Or am I just makign too big a deal for this?

I also read htat MA law permits them to sue if htey sustain major injuries, so I'm wondering what is it that they are going by? they had only 2 scuff marks.

Is it possible, though I know it's illegal, for them to cause more damage to their vehicle?

What steps should I take if something like this repeats? so I can avoid this aggravation?

Should I countersuit?

I am sooo very sorry if this is all jumbled, I've lost many nights of sleep over this, and my head's been hurting ALOT. Thanks for all your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">