• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gckt

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I involved in an accident two years ago- 9/15/2000. I went to the hearing and admited my fault. I fell asleep on State Route and hit a pick up truck in front of me. My hood was bend; his bumper was bend. No bodily injury at the scene. We both walked out our vehicles and discussed the accident while he called the State police.

In the hearing I was ruled guilty for improper driving, fined 85 dollars.

Two year later, today, I got a letter from an attorny office whom was assigned by my insurance company to represent me. The plantiff clams an amount of $550,000 total (a married couple on two motions).

The letters says that I am going to be served. I have the following questions:

1. Should I get a private attorney?
2. Do I need to pay anything if the judgement was over my liability amount- 25,000?
3. I have moved to Ohio, how are they gonna serve me?
4. What is the chance that I need to go on a trial?
5. What is the chance that I need to spend money in settling this motion? (Since I believe that their motion was totally ridiculous.) It was my fault though, how likely will they win the trail for punitive damage and compensatory damage?
6. Is there a length of time after the accident in which he can sue me? It has been 2 years, can he still do that?

Thanks

racer72

1. Only if you feel the lawyer hired by the insurance company cannot do the job.

2. Oh yeah.

3. There are folks all over the US that make a living as process servers. The lawyers representing the respondants will hire one that works where you now live.

4. Do you have a spare half a million laying around to pay them if they obtain a default judgement if you don't show?

5. Only your lawyer can answer that question.

6. 2 years after an accident is not out of line with filing a lawsuit.

R

reddenbakker

My guess is they found out you have MONEY......or property....or a trust fund

So what the helll lets sue and see if we can git sum moneyyyyyy!!!!!

Its a game, and YOU are forced to play it.

welcome to the American Legal System.

T

totallybroke

It depends on what your being sued for? What are the two motions? The SOL's for VA are

Statutes Of Limitations:

Personal injuries 2 years VA Code 8.01-243
Property damages 5 years VA Code 8.01-243

and if he actually is filing for personal injuries did he in fact file before the 2 years was up?

G

gckt

totally broke
THANKS for your info so much. I am scheduled to talk to my lawyer over the phone this afternoon. I will surely ask him about that (SOL). They sued me for compensatory damage and punitive damage. I don't know if that means their property or medical condition. I will keep you updated. thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">