• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melsers

Here's the situation:

I live in California.
I'm uninsured.
I get into an accident that wasn't my fault.
I give the other party my registration and inadvertantly also give her my expired insurance ID card!!
I file a claim against her insurance for damages.
My question is what will her insurance do during the course of their investigation?
Am I screwed?
What should be my next course of action?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mlk1978

melsers said:
Here's the situation:

I live in California.
I'm uninsured.
I get into an accident that wasn't my fault.
I give the other party my registration and inadvertantly also give her my expired insurance ID card!!
I file a claim against her insurance for damages.
My question is what will her insurance do during the course of their investigation?
Am I screwed?
What should be my next course of action?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Chances are... you will be. They may look at it as... it's your fault cause you shouldn't have been driving. Sit back and relax, they may just pay you anyway.

melsers

Thank you for your reply..
Is there a chance that they can charge me with insurance fraud because I gave them insurance information that has expired?

weenor

melsers said:
Thank you for your reply..
Is there a chance that they can charge me with insurance fraud because I gave them insurance information that has expired?

No- insurance fraud is obtaining coverage or payments from an insurance company by lying...your only problem is that as stated above ...her insurance may use it as leverage because by law you are required to have coverage when you drive.

weenor

melsers said:
Wouldn't presenting the expired insurance info as being valid at the time lying?
I'm very worried about that. This is my first accident and I definitely was not thinking straight.
Also I can't seem to find anything in the California Insurance Code that states that she is liable for my damages even though I wasn't insured.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=ins&codebody=&hits=20

Thanks again.

No there probably isn't.... What the other poster was saying is that depending on the case there would be an argument that the accident was actually your fault for being on the road illegally...I don't know if that would fly...giving them an expired card is not actionable for fraud. .. you gave your information and they will probably contact your previous insurer only to discover you weren't covered...that's not actionble fraud unless there is code section in your state that specially says it is a crime to give false insurance information- I personally have never seen that. You should probably contact an attorney on Monday. They can take the case without any money up front and perhaps convince her insurance company that the accident was her fault.

Litigation!

weenor said:
What the other poster was saying is that depending on the case there would be an argument that the accident was actually your fault for being on the road illegally...I don't know if that would fly...

My response: No, it won't fly. There's no such law, or cause of action, in California like that. Our writer could have been under age, and driving without a license, or some other incapacity. It still doesn't give another driver a right to play "bumper cars."

giving them an expired card is not actionable for fraud. ..

My response: No, but it is a Vehicle Code violation. She can expect to lose her driving privileges for 6 months and pay a hefty fine to the State.

you gave your information and they will probably contact your previous insurer only to discover you weren't covered...that's not actionble fraud unless there is code section in your state that specially says it is a crime to give false insurance information- I personally have never seen that.

My response: She will, however, be required per the Code to fill out and file an SR-19. If she doesn't, and the other party does, then the DMV will summarily suspend her driving privilege. The other insurance company will demand that our writer sign a Declaration of Non-Insurance so that the other driver may make an Uninsured Motorist claim.

You should probably contact an attorney on Monday. They can take the case without any money up front and perhaps convince her insurance company that the accident was her fault.

My response: Good luck on that one. I don't know of any attorney who would take a Proposition 213 case like this. There's no money in it.

Our writer is basically screwed. Oh, and she's lying about the insurance card. She knew she didn't have insurance. Her reason for doing so was to delay the inevitable.

IAAL

weenor

Litigation! said:
weenor said:
Our writer is basically screwed. Oh, and she's lying about the insurance card. She knew she didn't have insurance. Her reason for doing so was to delay the inevitable.
IAAL
Well yeah...had lady do that to me when she ran over me about 10 years ago...accidentally gave the officer information that she was covered- my butt....but of course the real rub was this occurred before Alabama had mandatory insurance so I couldn't even get her license suspended.

teflon_jones

You can expect your license and registration may be revoked by the RMV when the insurance company notifies them that you don't have insurance.

Litigation!

teflon_jones said:
You can expect your license and registration may be revoked by the RMV when the insurance company notifies them that you don't have insurance.

My response:

This was already stated correctly by me, a California attorney. Second, no one takes the "registration" or "revokes" it. Third, it's not the RMV, it's the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). Fourth, only her driver's license will be suspended - - as I stated above.

Try reading before you post.

IAAL

teflon_jones

Litigation! said:
My response:

This was already stated correctly by me, a California attorney. Second, no one takes the "registration" or "revokes" it. Third, it's not the RMV, it's the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). Fourth, only her driver's license will be suspended - - as I stated above.

Try reading before you post.

IAAL
Try quoting correctly so I can figure out where your post begins and the post you quoted ends... :p

RMV or DMV, different states call them different things but they mean the exact same thing.

Litigation!

teflon_jones said:
Try quoting correctly so I can figure out where your post begins and the post you quoted ends... :p

RMV or DMV, different states call them different things but they mean the exact same thing.

My response:

Why would I quote myself? It's already there. You can read, can't you?

Please, don't confuse our California writer with different acronyms.Our writer needs accuracy, and she received accurate information from me.

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:

teflon_jones

Litigation! said:
My response:

Why would I quote myself? It's already there. You can read, can't you?

Please, don't confuse our California writer with different acronyms. Unlike your dumb-ass response, our writer needs accuracy, and she received accurate information from me.

IAAL
:rolleyes: Read your post again where you randomly insert quotes from the OP without actually correctly using the quote feature so you can't tell where what she typed begins and ends and where your responses begin and end.

Litigation!

teflon_jones said:
:rolleyes: Read your post again where you randomly insert quotes from the OP without actually correctly using the quote feature so you can't tell where what she typed begins and ends and where your responses begin and end.

My response:

Learn to read, idiot.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">