• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help for My Brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ConcernedSib

What is the name of your state? California

My brother was in a minor accident in which he rear-ended a truck causing minimal damage to its fender. Both he & I are covered under the same auto insurance policy. I paid the premium a week or so late causing a lapse in coverage of a few days. Unfortunately, it was during this short lapse in coverage when my brother's accident occurred. Can my brother file a claim for this accident even though a lapse in coverage was in affect at the time of the accident?

Also, my brother understands he is financially responsible for the damages to the other party's vehicle. He was recently notified of the total amount of the damages by the other party's insurance company, which seem excessive. Does he have any legal recourse to challenge this amount?

HomeGuru

ConcernedSib said:
What is the name of your state? California

My brother was in a minor accident in which he rear-ended a truck causing minimal damage to its fender. Both he & I are covered under the same auto insurance policy. I paid the premium a week or so late causing a lapse in coverage of a few days. Unfortunately, it was during this short lapse in coverage when my brother's accident occurred. Can my brother file a claim for this accident even though a lapse in coverage was in affect at the time of the accident?

**A: yes, and expect a nice letter from the insurance company telling you that you had no coverage.
Also, my brother understands he is financially responsible for the damages to the other party's vehicle. He was recently notified of the total amount of the damages by the other party's insurance company, which seem excessive. Does he have any legal recourse to challenge this amount?

**A: yes.

C

ConcernedSib

Thank you so much for your reply. I pretty much figured our insurance company would not cover the accident. You mention that my brother has legal means to challenge the amount of the damages. May I please ask that you possibly provide details on how we would go about doing that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">