• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help for my elderly Mom!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeannie

My 83 year old mother was in a car accident. She was hit in the side, going through a residential intersection in a County jurisdiction of Arizona and since there were no Stop signs on any of the four corners, neither party received a ticket. Arizona is a no-fault state and Mom has Colorado auto insurance, so I guess that’s why the other party’s insurance has sent forms to Mom for her medical bills.

As a result of the accident Mom suffered four broken ribs and within two weeks was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and congestive heart failure. Fortunately, within a month, she pretty much recovered, although she is assisted by a walker. However, her car was totalled and she has decided she never wants to drive again. Also, she is selling her winter home in Arizona and will live in Colorado permanently.

She received notice that the person who hit her has retained a lawyer and claims injuries. (We have some very bizarre, long stories about him, but I guess that isn’t pertinent to this case! Suffice it to say we’re pretty sure he didn’t sustain injuries and his big van suffered little damage compared to what he did to my mother’s -- insurance investigators will unsurface all that I guess).

Besides sending her bills to the other party’s insurance company (as they requested), she would like to get compensation for her pain and suffering, along with the fact it resulted in her losing her independance and quality of life.

I find it hard to find either party capable of suing the other since no tickets were issued. It appears to be a corner where neither street was a through street and had the right of way. The person who hit her lived only three houses from the intersection and knew full well that it was a danger and should have been more cautious. Was he negligent? Or, would it be possible to have a case against the County because there were no Stop signs? I know this is most likely a question we will have to ask a lawyer, but wondered if anyone else has any information through their experience? Thank you! Jeannie

DGO1223

Might as well go get a lawyer NOW, get these questions answered, the sooner the better!:confused: Until things are put into motion, you're getting nowhere FAST. I don't know how long ago this happened, but you should have done it right away.

Asking here, and wondering; you're wasting time better served getting advice for your Mom's situation! There are too many variables to make guesses.:eek:

Sorry your Mom was injured and had to go thru this.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">