• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

** Help, please **

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debris

Georgia
---------------
Hi all,

I had an accident within 1 mile of my home when I was practicing with my learner's permit, alone. While I was at a red light, this guy rear-ended me and he instantly assumed responsibility and claimed that he was willing to pay for it. However, fearing that I had violated the law, I didn't call the police and he didn't know that I had no license. I later did an estimate on the damage, $2.5k, to repair.

How to handle this situation? What should I do to serve best for my interest?
... Desperate and thanks for any input.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
debris said:
Georgia
---------------
Hi all,

I had an accident within 1 mile of my home when I was practicing with my learner's permit, alone. While I was at a red light, this guy rear-ended me and he instantly assumed responsibility and claimed that he was willing to pay for it. However, fearing that I had violated the law, I didn't call the police and he didn't know that I had no license. I later did an estimate on the damage, $2.5k, to repair.

How to handle this situation? What should I do to serve best for my interest?
... Desperate and thanks for any input.
Get estimates for the damage (2-3 of them) and present them to the other driver asking for payment of the lowest one.
Then, if the other driver wants to negotiate some other amount with you, you can proceed along those lines if you so desire. If you come to an agreement, get a promise to pay in writing. If you don't, or if the other driver refuses, take them to small claims court.

-EDIT-
Oh, and don't drive without your license!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">