• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Quickly Please Court at 9 Am Thursday morning!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foxracrbear

What is the name of your state? Illinios
I am needing some help due to the inability to reach my regular lawyer!
On April 21 st I was in an accident with a student drivers car. I had been following then for a while keeping a safe distance back because it was a drivers ed car. We were unfortunately taking the same exit ramp. I had shifted into first gear and was preparing to come to a complete stop, leaving a car length distance between his car and mine. I saw the car STOP and then TAKE OFF. I looked to my left to make sure traffic was clear and was almost stopped when I ran into the back of them.
I believe the instructor did not like how the student braked and jumped his breaks again. I later found out that the instructor is well know for jumping the breaks on his students.
I recieved a ticket for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. (75$) I would like to ask that the ticket be dissmissed due to the fact that the car preceede out on to the road and then stopped again. I will settle for court supervision if no one thinks I can get it dismissed. I really do not want a ticket on my public record so my insurance can hike even more than it will due to the accident claim.
Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Just Blue

foxracrbear;1638307What is the name of your state? Illinios

I would like to ask that the ticket be dissmissed due to the fact that the car should not have been there.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: **************************************************************************************************

Just Blue

What exactly is your legal advice?? I really would like not being heckled.
If you don't want to be heckled then think of a different argument for court tomorrow....'Cause I guarantee you, if you say that the car shouldn't have been there, you will be laughed at!! ;)

foxracrbear

If you don't want to be heckled then think of a different argument for court tomorrow....'Cause I guarantee you, if you say that the car shouldn't have been there, you will be laughed at!! ;)
Well here is the problem, I have never gone to court before. I also have no idea on how to broach this with the court. So could you please give me a few pointers. Yes I know that was a bad way of wording it but I really truly would like some help. I can handle court supervision but I would like to see it dismissed.

Just Blue

Well here is the problem, I have never gone to court before. I also have no idea on how to broach this with the court. So could you please give me a few pointers. Yes I know that was a bad way of wording it but I really truly would like some help. I can handle court supervision but I would like to see it dismissed.
Why on earth are you waiting till the night before court to get help? If you were going to contest the ticket you should have gotten an attorney...But seeing as you rear-ended the other car...I just don't see how you are going to argue your way out of this.
Perhaps one of the other members will have more helpful advice for you.

foxracrbear

Why on earth are you waiting till the night before court to get help? If you were going to contest the ticket you should have gotten an attorney...But seeing as you rear-ended the other car...I just don't see how you are going to argue your way out of this.
Perhaps one of the other members will have more helpful advice for you.
First off as I said before in the original thread. I have been trying to contact my attorney but he has not returned any phone calls for the past four weeks. I'm stressing cause this is my first accident and was seeing if anyone could help. And when I talked with the circuit clerk for my county they said I did not need an attorney to contest the ticket, just to appear and at some point explain the entire accident again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You just don't get it. You won't get ANYWHERE trying to explain this away. This accident was 100% your fault. You hit the gas when there was a car stopped in front of you.

moburkes

And, the insurance isn't going to increase any more. When an insurance company sees 2 things to surcharge for in the same incident (2 tickets, for example, or an accident and an associated ticket), they choose the higher point violation of the 2. Since you caused an accident, they will charge for the accident, and the ticket is "free", so to speak. So, all that panicking over nothing.

foxracrbear

You just don't get it. You won't get ANYWHERE trying to explain this away. This accident was 100% your fault. You hit the gas when there was a car stopped in front of you.
Okay so you apparantly did not read the post well. I was almost to a complete stop when I struck them.

foxracrbear

And, the insurance isn't going to increase any more. When an insurance company sees 2 things to surcharge for in the same incident (2 tickets, for example, or an accident and an associated ticket), they choose the higher point violation of the 2. Since you caused an accident, they will charge for the accident, and the ticket is "free", so to speak. So, all that panicking over nothing.
Thank you for the information Moburkes.

ecmst12

Okay so you apparantly did not read the post well. I was almost to a complete stop when I struck them.
That's completely irrelevant. You rear ended them. You looked away from the car in front of you and didn't see it stop. If the ticket carries points, they MIGHT offer to reduce it to a no-point violation, but you still caused the accident and they're not going to dismiss it.

foxracrbear

Yes that I can understand that is also why in the post I asked for help with how to talk about court supervision. But it doesn't matter anyway any more cause I talked to someone who told me how the process would work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">