• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help? Rear-ended in 1st accident and need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bramma_99

What is the name of your state?

The name of my state is Arkansas. THis is what happened: I was slowing down to allow a vehicle in front of me to turn. Then, wam, a truck wams into the back of us. THe man had insurance and the company admitted fault. To make a long story short, both me and my wife have had neck and back pain. We both took a trip to the emergency room, and are now seeing the chiropractor on the regular basis to get the problems corrected. I have a strained lumbar causing a nerve around my spine to be pinched. I'm not exactly sure what her diagnosis is, but basically her neck got knocked off track a little.
On the vehicle part, I have a 2000 FOrd Mustang. I went to a local shop and the estimate was for $1200, having to replace the bumper. Well, when I got a call from the other company's adjuster, she advised me to use their "preferred"shop. Since I had never heard of it, i wouldnt. Then, they sent out a seperate contrator to estimate the damage of my repairs. THis is the point I am at now.
The contractor told me he would give the info to the adjuster, and then she would then mail me a check for this amound. My question is this: On the estimate I first had, he said there could be some hidden damage underneath. So, if i take the check, is the insurance company still responsible if the repairs go over the amount of the check? Would it be best not to accept the check?
My last questions relate to the injury part. If we stay on schedule, our chiropractic treatments will total about $6000 together plus two emergency room bills. After prescriptions and stuff, I expect the bills to be around $8000. They have requested access to our medical records. I don't know if I should do this or not, so I wanted to ask for advice. Also, what is a decent settlement? From what I can find, it seems like about double of the medical bills is customary. Can anyone help me answer these questions?

Last edited:

N

NO BS GIRL

I live in Ohio, but back in 01 I was hit by a semi truck on the highway. So the law might biffer a little, but here's what I learned: By accepting a check you are accepting settlement. In ohio at least you have up to 2 years to file a claim. That's 2 years for you to collect medical bills and doctors opinions on the long term damage you may face. You not only will have the cost of repairs to your vehicle, but also your medical bills AND pain and suffering, which in ohio is usually 3 times the amount of your medical bills. Plus any lost wages or future lost wages.

What I did for my case was hired a good attorney with a we get paid only if you get paid contract. They will work harder for you since they get a portion of what you get. The higher your amount, the higher theirs is as well.

Insurance companies know these things so they will always rush to get you to settle with them, making you feel like you are losing your only chance if you don't.

BelizeBreeze

And why haven't you called YOUR insurance company?

Take the check to a personal injury attorney with the full facts of the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">