• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High $ repair, should it be totalled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toffill

California.
I just had an accident in my 2003 Nissan Frontier and air bags did deploy. I received an estimate of $8900 from a service center authorized by my insurance provider. The shop called me yesterday and said that my insurance adjuster has approved the repair and they just require my authorization to start work. ( I have not spoken to the insurance adjuster myself)
My concern is that the repair damage would make my fairly new truck very difficult to sell at a later date. The Kelly values on my truck based on "good" condition are $12,500 retail and $9400 trade in. My concern is that the real value would be substantially lower with knowledge of accident and repairs.
Is it possible based on my concerns to have the vehicle totaled? I have no argument with my provided and no reason to mistrust them or the shop. I'm simply concerned about the value of my repaired truck a year down the road if I tried to sell it or trade in for a new vehicle.
NOTE: Air bag repair is over $4000 of this extimate (parts/labor)

teflon_jones

Normally a vehicle is totalled when the repair bill will be more than 70% of the car's current value. In this case, it's very close. I'd contact your insurance company and ask them why it wasn't totalled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">