• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

high speed chase

• Thread starter bigbears sister
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigbears sister

missouri
my broher was killed in an aout accident follwing a police chase. he was not drunk and no warrents. what can i do?

X

Xjudge

Need more info. Was he being chased or was he an innocent victim? If he was being chased, why? Xjudge.

B

bigbears sister

my brother was the driver and the only person in the car.
he was driving another persons car home for them after work.
it was very late at night on rural state highways.
I know he deserved a ticket but he didnt deserve to die. if the would have backed off they could have followd him right to my driveway. if this chase had been three minutes later my husdbanad would have been hit head on by both my brother
and the police officer. he was on his way to work.
my brother was speeding and had left his wallet at home.
my guess is he just didn't want a ticket. coroner peports showed that he may have had one drink earlier in the evening but was no where near the leagl limit for alcohol.

[Edited by bigbears sister on 05-05-2001 at 08:24 AM]

X

Xjudge

Sorry to say your brother was the party entirely at fault. Fleeing from a police officer is never an excuse. Failure to produce a drivers license when stopped because if was forgotten at home usually results in a citation that is dismissed when proof of possession of the license is shown. I use to see it many times in my court room, young men who think that engaging officers in a pursuit is a game. What would have been a minor infraction becomes a felony and the person has a police record for life. Your brother used poor judgement and left a grieving family behind.

B

bigbears sister

i thought that the police were not suppose to purse high speed chases, espically late at night on curvy county roads.
the only thing my bother had done was speed. I'm not looking for money. a firing and an appology would enough.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, then you should go to the Police Station and tell them you want an apology. See what they say.

Of course they can chase someone who's evading arrest, and who refuses to stop when he sees flashing blue and red lights. At that point, your brother had committed a criminal act.

And, if it happens to be at night (when most crimes are committed), then that's the time to chase a criminal. The cops don't choose the time of day - - the criminal does.

IAAL

B

bigbears sister

highspeed chase

Thanks for the advise. I guess i was hopeing for some personal satisfaction. i guess that is selfish but i'm so angry and hurt. i miss my brother.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: highspeed chase

bigbears sister said:
Thanks for the advise. I guess i was hopeing for some personal satisfaction. i guess that is selfish but i'm so angry and hurt. i miss my brother.
My response:

I have absolutely no doubt that you're hurt, angry, and that you miss your brother deeply. Your anger and hurt, however, are being vented in the wrong direction, and at the wrong people.

As XJudge aptly pointed out:

"Your brother used poor judgement and left a grieving family behind."

Please, it may be useful and helpful to you if you sought "grief counseling" from a group in your area. When a tragedy occurs, especially the loss of a loved one, all persons such as yourself could benefit from talking it out.

Good luck to you, and try not to hold the anger in - - allow yourself to grieve for your brother.

IAAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">