• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High speed chase crash?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jefflord

What is the name of your state? Ga.
O.K. my wife and three of my children were involved in a accident this past tuesday evening. My 17 year old daughter was driving the family van. She and my wife along with my 8 year old daughter(and 2 family pets) had just picked up my 15 year old daughter from a babysitting job. she stopped at a traffic light that was red . when the light turned green she proceeded into the intersection. They were hit in the front end by a stolen vehicle. The driver of the stolen vehicle was being persued by atleast 4 or 5 patrol cars, speeds estimated at about 90mph. The chase had went through two counties. My wife and children are all bruised and banged up (lucky to be alive) No serious injuries. Traumatized as you can imagine. One of our dogs lost a leg and the van is gone. What happens here:confused: I don't want to sound ignorant but I have neverbeen involved in something like this. Thanks for any advice
Jeff

StephenH

You should report this to your insurance company. They should be able to handle this. If the driver of the car that hit you vwas uninsured, you may have to use your uninsured motorist coverage. You may also sue the driver of the car that hit you.

xylene

But you cannot get a payday by deciding to sue the police involved.
Unfortunately.

----

Yes that's right police should be required to justify their testosterone fueled bad decisions and (or at the very least balance public risk to public benefit just like any "ordinary" citizen is required to in their conduct.)

This is not an analysis of the fact of this case (not enough presented) but police and police chase apologists are going to pile on point out a lot of big scary sounding words.

Do yourself a favor and get a lawyer. Or just let yourself get railroaded by your insurance company, the police and this criminal.

jefflord

Thanks for the advice. I'm not "looking for a payday". I have been in the fire service for 19 years. In 19 years a lot has changed for us. Remember when you were a kid and everybody got out of the way for the fire trucks? Not now:eek: I'm an engineer, thats just a nice way of calling me a fire apparatus operator. In the past 5 years I have sat through numerous "emergency response classes". Our department has had to establish whole new sop's and emergency response guidlines due to the departments legal obligation to the citizens we are trying to protect. I can tell you this. In a business where seconds can literally mean the difference in life or death, I have to maintain control of my apparatus, stop at all stop signs and adhere to all traffic signals. Would you like to know why? Because the law holds me responsible for what ever actions I take, reguardless of who or what I'm trying to help. I guess you can tell I'm frustrated at this point. If I make a bad choice on an emergency call my feet will be held to the fire (no pun intended) where life could be the issue. A stolen car doesn't warrent risking the life of innocent people. No I'm not trying to get anyone to agree with me, just seeing what advice I can get. Getting an Att. is probably the best advice we recieved;)
Thanks,
Jeff:)

moburkes

I agree that your family is lucky to be alive. If your daughter ever drives again, you'll need to be sure to tell her to make sure that traffic has actually stopped before proceeding into the intersection. Not to be rude (seriously), but she should have noticed a driver coming at her at 90 MPH, right?

moburkes

That my friend doesn't even deserve a reply.
I didn't ask for one. I said that I was serious. Part of driving is being reactive. We don't always cause accidents (this is a clear example of that), but, sometimes we can avoid them.

By the way, you replied.

jefflord

If accused of a reply, then a reply you shall recieve. At 45 mph how far in front of a patrol car will the sound of a siren carry? Remember though, we are talking 90mph + . At 90 mph how many feet in a second is that car going to cover? Are we talking about a blind intersection or an intersection where visibility is limited. What time of day are we talking and what were the weather conditions? How long had the pursuit traveled and did the crime warrant a pursuit in which you can justify putting innocent lives at risk? That would be equivalent to saying to everyone hit by a drunk driver on friday night. Maybe you should've thought about that before you went out on friday night. You know the roads are full of drunks on friday night! "It is better for the world to think you a fool, than you to open your mouth and remove all doubt.":)

ecmst12

And it's also possible that it was a blind intersection and she COULDN'T see the other car coming until it was too late to avoid the accident. That was unnecessarily judgemental.

moburkes

If accused of a reply, then a reply you shall recieve. At 45 mph how far in front of a patrol car will the sound of a siren carry? Remember though, we are talking 90mph + . At 90 mph how many feet in a second is that car going to cover? Are we talking about a blind intersection or an intersection where visibility is limited. What time of day are we talking and what were the weather conditions? How long had the pursuit traveled and did the crime warrant a pursuit in which you can justify putting innocent lives at risk? That would be equivalent to saying to everyone hit by a drunk driver on friday night. Maybe you should've thought about that before you went out on friday night. You know the roads are full of drunks on friday night! "It is better for the world to think you a fool, than you to open your mouth and remove all doubt.":)
Unfortunately, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

moburkes

And it's also possible that it was a blind intersection and she COULDN'T see the other car coming until it was too late to avoid the accident. That was unnecessarily judgemental.
Absolutely. I don't know of any blind intersections with lights, but it is possible. However, it was just a statement. Not an accusation, not saying that she was responsible. Just a statement, and he got all pissy.

gabecoco

Absolutely. I don't know of any blind intersections with lights, but it is possible. However, it was just a statement. Not an accusation, not saying that she was responsible. Just a statement, and he got all pissy.
Who could blame him?

CdwJava

xylene said:
Yes that's right police should be required to justify their testosterone fueled bad decisions and (or at the very least balance public risk to public benefit just like any "ordinary" citizen is required to in their conduct.)
We do.

At least in CA, we do. And in most other states they have to as well.

Ultimately, the decision is that of the fleeing criminal and NOT the police, the city, or the state. Fortunately, the courts have most often sided against the criminal and for the police in these issues.

And if you have never been in a high speed pursuit, then you have no idea how terrifying they can be for those involved. Oh, and it's adrenaline NOT testosterone that is flowing when these happen ... and, terror. Zipping in and out of traffic and taking turns at 60-90 MPH is not my idea of fun - and the overwhelming majority of cops feel the same way.

But, lucky for the people on your side of the aisle, many states will be pretty much outlawing any pursuits. Florida already has ... and they have more people taking off on their cops than ever before. Why stop when you KNOW the cops aren't going to follow you? California will probably be following suit real soon. That'll be fun.

- Carl

ecmst12

Isn't it better to let a criminal get away then to let innocent civilians get injured or killed in a chase?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">