• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by another car while making left turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deliscious

New York

I was hit by another car while making left turn, I had to bypass incoming traffic lanes to turn onto 1 way Street. Light was green, I saw it was safe to make a turn, initiated the turning maneuver and had already turned onto the 1 way Street when out of no where this car hit my bumper on the right side and took the bumper completely off. It also appeared that the other driver was driving in the bicycle lane which is at the point where I turned and was hit. My car was on the 1 way Street after accident and his car was in the bicycle lane. There are 2 middle lanes and a bicycle lane. The other driver had only right front damage. He claims I drove in front of him and I say he had to be speeding. If I drove in front of him wouldn't he had hit me with the full front of his car? Who is in the wrong?

Last edited:

las365

You are. You have a duty to yield to oncoming traffic when making a left turn, unless you have the right of way per a traffic signal. If you didn't see the other car or misjudged its speed, that's your negligence.

ecmst12

He probably attempted to swerve when he saw you turning in front of him and that is how he ended up in the bicycle lane. You are at fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">