• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit in company lot by company vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Winafew

:cool: What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm a truckdriver, and must park my personal vehicle in a designated area when I am on the road.

The designated area is a long row along a fence. The designated area for company trucks (the tractor part of tractor-trailer rigs) is another row seperated from the personal vehicle row by a short distance. The two rows are arranged so that company trucks must back toward the personal vehicles, before turning and leaving.

I returned after a few days on the road to find some unknown person (though it had to have been a company employee) had backed a truck into my personal van, then left. $1500 damage.

Company representatives have thus far refused to admit any responsibility.

My insurance says my uninsured motorist does not cover this. I dropped collision three years ago, and at the time specifically asked if uninsured motorist covered hit and run, and was told yes. Now the answer is no.

I recently received a notice from the company, unrelated to this specific incident, that again required parking at that location.

It seems to me that the company is requiring us (as a condition of employement) to park in a location where we are at risk for property damage. It seems that they should then be liable.

Do I have a valid argument?

Lynx 36

Uninsured motorist does not cover the damage. How do you know if the person who hit you had insurance or not?

The company would only be responsible f/ the damages if they know which specific truck and driver hit your van. If you don't like where the company assigns you to park you can ask to park somewhere else, get collision added to your policy, or quit. You could possibly look f/ the specific truck by looking f/ paint transfer or damage that would match up to your van.

BelizeBreeze

Lynx 36 said:
The company would only be responsible f/ the damages if they know which specific truck and driver hit your van. If you don't like where the company assigns you to park you can ask to park somewhere else, get collision added to your policy, or quit. You could possibly look f/ the specific truck by looking f/ paint transfer or damage that would match up to your van.
Not necessarily correct. I suggest you speak with an attorney about 'bailment' and the responsibility of the company in requiring you to park the vehicle where it can suffer damages.

Lynx 36

Quote: "Not necessarily correct. I suggest you speak with an attorney about 'bailment' and the responsibility of the company in requiring you to park the vehicle where it can suffer damages."

He can do this....absolutely. But w/o being able to look at the space we cannot evaluate that here. Have there been any other cars damaged that have been assigned to park in this area? Are they just making HIM park there?
I would think if he talked to his employer they would certainly oblige him and let him park elsewhere b/c this happened. If there have been other cars damaged in this parking area in the past, I agree w/ you, he may have a case.

That's just exactly what I would do. Sue my employer. That'll move you to the top of the list on that next promotion. C'mon we're talking $1500 here. Is it really worth it f/ him to be blackballed by his employer over this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">