• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit dog in street, owner wants money for Vet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

baysorej

As I was driving through my neighborhood, a dog ran into the street and I hit him. The owner was close by and came running and screaming that I hit his dog right in front of his kids. I got a call from him later saying the emergency vet visit was $95.07 and that he expects me to pay. Now, there is a leash law in our city and I believe and am not at fault. I would have been willing to pay half the amount had he not threatened to "slap" me for what I had done. Am I in the right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by baysorej:
As I was driving through my neighborhood, a dog ran into the street and I hit him. The owner was close by and came running and screaming that I hit his dog right in front of his kids. I got a call from him later saying the emergency vet visit was $95.07 and that he expects me to pay. Now, there is a leash law in our city and I believe and am not at fault. I would have been willing to pay half the amount had he not threatened to "slap" me for what I had done. Am I in the right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

While you never mentioned your State like this site requests (See above), or your City name (because leash laws are usually City ordinances), if you do have a leash law, then get a copy of it because that law undoubtedly requires a dog owner to remain in possession, custody or control of their animal at all times.

The idea being is that a street is not a place for animals; it's a place for cars. So, you are "off the hook" unless the owner is able to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that you were negligent in some manner, and a cause of his dog's injuries and damages.

So, in the meantime, allow the owner to sue you for the money, and let a judge tell him why he's unable to obtain a judgment. Tell the owner, "No".

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

C

Chris P.

While you may not be legally on the hook for the vet bills, morally you may want to consider paying half, if you were speeding (even a little), or distracted while you drove through this neighborhood. In any event, be grateful that this was not a child you hit, and try not to hold the owner's overreaction against them. Even if you weren't speeding, chances are they've seen too many careless drivers putting pets and kids at risk.

L

LadyFable

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by baysorej:
As I was driving through my neighborhood, a dog ran into the street and I hit him. The owner was close by and came running and screaming that I hit his dog right in front of his kids. I got a call from him later saying the emergency vet visit was $95.07 and that he expects me to pay. Now, there is a leash law in our city and I believe and am not at fault. I would have been willing to pay half the amount had he not threatened to "slap" me for what I had done. Am I in the right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't believe that the owner of the animal could force you to pay for any of the vet bills unless their could prove you were at fault. Since most cities have leash laws, the owner has a responsibility to maintain control of the dog at all times. You didnt indicate how fast you were traveling, and in reality the amount of the bills isnt extravagant.One of my dogs was attacked by a pit bull several years ago after my dog got loose from my yard. I ended up with $1500 in vet bills but chose not to sue the other own based on my own responsibilities as a dog owner(despite the fact that the woman walking the pit bull could not maintain control of her pet.) It was unfortunate that the dog was injured in any way, shape or form. It isnt its fault it got hurt due to the negligence of the owner. I don't think legally you could be held liable... Morally? that would be up to you. In any case, I wouldn't pay more than 1/2 of the bill IF you decide to help pay for it. If you do pay, I would make sure that you get the owner to sign something releasing you from any further liability.

Please note that I am not an attorney nor do I proclaim to be. The above posting is nothing more than my mere opinion. I will not be held liable for any comments or opinions I have stated here.

B

baysorej

Thanks for all the advice. The dogs owner called and apologized for his behavior about the incident and his dog is just fine. I paid half the vet bill and sent the dog a basket of doggie biscuits. Thanks again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Thanks for all the advice. The dogs owner called and apologized for his behavior about the incident and his dog is just fine. I paid half the vet bill and sent the dog a basket of doggie biscuits. Thanks again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Normally, when a situation on a post appears to be resolved, I no longer make comments.
However, in this case, I am compelled to make a further comment.

I sincerely commend you for your deed. While there was probably no law to compel you to pay, you did the "human" thing and cared enough about the animal. The basket was a nice touch. My compliments to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">