• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by Drunk Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cifaldi

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania. I was hit head on by a drunk driver he was doing 99mph when he hit me. He was driving on a susspended licens for DUI. It was a hit and run. My attorney said I may only get $10,000. I almost lost my house because of this accident and all the work I missed for PT. Is there anything else I can do? Can I bring a civil suit against him? Maybe sue him personally. :mad:

stephenk

99 mph and head-on?? You lived to tell about it?

When did the accident happen?
What injuries did the doctor diagnose?
What are your medical bills?
How long did you treat?
Chiropractor or MD?

C

cifaldi

March 23
I received injuries to my Head, Neck, Arms, legs.
6 months
Chiropractor or MD -both
I have not been released from the doctors but have no choice but to settle now. I have missed so much work do to PT that I am in danger of losing my house. No one will help me out. I am $12,000 in debt because of this accodent. I have not been able to pay credit cards, loans or anything else. I can barley feed my daughter. This guy has skiped 3 court dates and nothing has happened to him.

stephenk

Well you almost answered my questions.

Was the other driver insured? If yes, have you made a claim against his carrier?

Were you insured? Did you have any medical coverage on your policy? How about collision coverage to repair your car?

What court dates are you talking about? Do you have an attorney? If yes, what does the attorney say?

C

cifaldi

Yes. He is insured.
No. I had no coverage. It was my Grandfathers car and I am on his policy. He does have medical coverage on his insurance and full tort. He has collision coverage but the car was totaled. He did not show up for three of the magistrate’s hearings. They said they will issue a warrant for his arrest but I have not heard anything. It's been 4 months. Yes I have an attorney, she told me I will get paid the medical times 3 and it will amount to around $10,000 then she gets her 40% so I will end up with around $6,000. What about pain and suffering? At first I was told I would get anywhere between $50,000 to $100,000. I have to file bankruptcy due to this accident. I got a foreclosure notice on my house. If I file chapter 13 will I lose my house?
:confused:

stephenk

So your medical bills are a little over $3000, right? How much time did you miss from work to go to PT? It couldnt have been that many PT sessions with such a low bill.

the pain and suffering (general damages) is the amount of the settlement that is everything but your medical bills. $10k settlement would be your 3k medical bills and 7k general damages.

you can always consult with another attorney regarding your case. Most PI attorneys offer free or low cost consultations. You should also consult with a bankruptcy attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">