• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit by drunk driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tarts05

:mad: What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

On may 17th 2005 I was leaving work and had just pulled out of the parking lot when a drunk driver failed to stop at a stop sign and hit me by my driver's front tire. He was estimated to be driving 85- 90 mph. I was in a pontiac sunfire and he was in an extended cab pickup. Both vehicles were totalled.

He was uninjured and I did not go in the ambulance. It was not until 2 days later that I was in pain. Neck, back and left shoulder. I am still going through Physical Therapy and may need shoulder surgery. Neck and back are about 80% healed.

Can I go after this jerk personally? Or am I limited to sueing just his insurance company?

litltexas

Personal Injury

You sign only the part on your car NOTHING ELSE. Injuries often don't show up right away so you have to be treated and when your better then you settle with the insurance company. Your signing to accept vehicle arrangements should have nothing to do with your person injury. If the person who hit you has insurance then you I believe would sue both of them.
If you sue the person liable say for $120K and they only have $100K insurance then you have the claim against the person that hit you for the remaining balance. Only thing is it's almost impossible to get that money unless they have something for you to take.

teflon_jones

You don't sue the other insurance company. They weren't driving nor do they own the car. You sue the other driver and his insurance company will provide representation if he has the necessary coverage to warrant it. If he doesn't, then he'll need to get representation himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">