• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit by drunk driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DebiZ

What is the name of your state? WI

My daughter was hit by a drunk driver 2 nights ago. Thankfully she is okay.
We had her checked at the hospital, she has a minor cut and bump on her head and she is pretty sore, but nothing long term.
The driver hit her and then jumped out of his truck and attempted to flee on foot.
The police did apprehend him. The truck is registered to and insured by his father.

The car, insured and registered to me, is my college daughter's transportation.
We are pretty sure it will be totaled.
It is an older car on which I carry only liability.
Because of this my insurance company told me I have to handle things on my own.

What can I expect from the drunk driver's insurance company? Can I hope to have the car replaced? Will they cover her medical bills and the day she missed from work?
I am a bit scared to begin this process because I don't want to be taken advantage of because I don't understand the system. I've heard that insurance companies hire people who's job it is to pay out as little as possible.

Any good words of wisdom before I proceed?
Thank you.What is the name of your state?

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? WI

My daughter was hit by a drunk driver 2 nights ago. Thankfully she is okay.
We had her checked at the hospital, she has a minor cut and bump on her head and she is pretty sore, but nothing long term.
The driver hit her and then jumped out of his truck and attempted to flee on foot.
The police did apprehend him. The truck is registered to and insured by his father.

The car, insured and registered to me, is my college daughter's transportation.
We are pretty sure it will be totaled.
It is an older car on which I carry only liability.
Because of this my insurance company told me I have to handle things on my own.

What can I expect from the drunk driver's insurance company? Can I hope to have the car replaced? Will they cover her medical bills and the day she missed from work?
I am a bit scared to begin this process because I don't want to be taken advantage of because I don't understand the system. I've heard that insurance companies hire people who's job it is to pay out as little as possible.

Any good words of wisdom before I proceed?
Thank you.What is the name of your state?

First, thank God your daughter is ok. That's the most important part.

Now...you will need to immediately call the other party's insurance company and open up a claim. They are not obligated to replace the car, however, they are obligated to pay you either (1) the value of the damage or (2) the value of the vehicle if they choose to total it out. Her medical bills and lost wages are also part of the damage. If you are not happy with the offer they give, you always have the option of suing both sonny boy and dad in court for your damages.

It is the duty of ALL insurance companies to collect your premiums, but to pay out as little as possible.

ecmst12

You and your daughter always have the option to hire a lawyer to help you with the process of settling for property damage (for you) and injuries (for her). A consultation will be free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">