• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit i intersection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jenerey

I am from Pennsylavia. I was going through an intersection on a yellow light. The car in front of me was already through the intersection. They stopped,double-parked and let out a passenger leaving me in the center of the intesection. Meanwhile the light turns red. A car was coming up the street perpendicular to me , and slams into the drivers side rear of my van, causing us to spin, tip onto two wheels,hit a sign o the other side getting us back on four wheels, then smashing front end into the traffic light pole. The other cars light must have changed to green while I was in the intersection but she says she did'nt see me. I'm wondering what the pa law is on this sort of thing, and whether I can be held liable at all since the light was red while I was in the intersection. Thank you

L

lawrat

Let's put it this way: read your municipal or state code on traffic safety. EVen try the dmv manual -- sometimes they list the specific statutes. Your liability may depend on how far you were away from the other side of the road, how far into the intersection when light turned red.

There are general rules that for safety reasons, if you are already in the middle of the road/past crosswalk when light turns red, you must continue to cross (not stop).

Try this site:
http://golocalnet.com/st/pennsylvania/index.html

J

Jenerey

I think the car that double-parked in front of me is mostly to blame. Now I have received a citation for running a red light. I want to fight it. There were no witnesses, so the officer is taking the other driver's word over mine, and I think that it stinks. Does anyone know what kind of chance I have of beating it. I know what happened, but I am afraid of the lawyers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">