• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit illegally parked car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tangtang

What is the name of your state? florida

I backed out of my driveway and hit a car parked partially in the street (which is illegal here)

the police report reads as follows:

Vehicle 2 was improperly parked in front of a residence, unoccupied. Vehicle 2 was parked with half the vehicle parked on the grass and the other half parked in the street.

Vehicle 1 backed out of his residence and struck Vehicle 2.

Right rear of Vehicle 1 struck left side door of Vehicle 2.

Conclusion: Vehicle 1 at fault for improper backing. Vehicle 2 contributing fault for improper parking. No injuries.

--------
my question is. Am i 100% responsible to pay all damages?

moburkes

From the insurance company's viewpoint? Yes. You should have asked them to move the vehicle or avoided the accident. You would have been equally as fault if the vehicle was parellel parked on the street, but just in front of the driveway.

BoredAtty

What is the name of your state? florida

I backed out of my driveway and hit a car parked partially in the street (which is illegal here)

the police report reads as follows:

Vehicle 2 was improperly parked in front of a residence, unoccupied. Vehicle 2 was parked with half the vehicle parked on the grass and the other half parked in the street.

Vehicle 1 backed out of his residence and struck Vehicle 2.

Right rear of Vehicle 1 struck left side door of Vehicle 2.

Conclusion: Vehicle 1 at fault for improper backing. Vehicle 2 contributing fault for improper parking. No injuries.

--------
my question is. Am i 100% responsible to pay all damages?
Most likely, you're responsible for the entire amount, since you had the last clear chance to avoid the collision. However, it's possible (though unlikely) that you could successfully argue that the owner/driver of the other vehicle is partially responsible (see "comparative negligence").

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">