• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit...not at fault, insurance cancelled??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minasmomkim

What is the name of your state? WA

I was recently hit by a large truck. Although the accident was pretty bad and sent my car spinning, no one was injured. I have pretty extensive damage to my car, and have already placed a claim with the driver's insurance company. Meanwhile, I thought it would be wise to contact my insurance company as well. After giving them my policy number, they informed me my insurance was cancelled 2 months ago. This was news to me. My insurance is automatically withdrawn from my paycheck which is direct deposit. I get a special discount with this particular insurance, because of my employer. Apparently when I left on maternity leave, I had an "unpaid" time off. The insurance company states they sent me a notice of cancellation, but I either overlooked it, or didn't get it. I assumed they had still been taking money out. I have since checked my paystub direct deposit checks and indeed, they were not taking any funds out. Is the other driver still liable to cover my damage. He has admitted fault in the accident. Kim

moburkes

Is it taken out of your PAYCHECK or is it taken out of your BANK ACCOUNT? They are 2 different things. In any case, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure that your insurance is active. How could they have deducted it form your paycheck, when you didn't have one? If the other driver is at fault, he is at fault, regardless of the status of your insurance. However, expect a license suspension.

minasmomkim

insurance

I am aware of how EFT withdrawals work, and have many...but this is not one. The insurance company, through my benefits from my company deducts the funds from my actual paycheck BEFORE taxes. This setup has been working for me for years. I completely realize it is my ultimate responsibility to be insured, and thought I was covered. Even my insurance cards still had valid dates. I'm not sure why my license would be suspended, since there were no police involved and I was not at fault.

ShyCat

You were on unpaid leave and yet somehow expecting the insurance premiums to be deducted from paychecks you were not receiving???!!

Betty

If it is determined the other driver was at fault, their ins. co. will pay to have the damage to your vehicle repaired whether or not you had insurance.

moburkes

I am aware of how EFT withdrawals work, and have many...but this is not one. The insurance company, through my benefits from my company deducts the funds from my actual paycheck BEFORE taxes. This setup has been working for me for years. I completely realize it is my ultimate responsibility to be insured, and thought I was covered. Even my insurance cards still had valid dates. I'm not sure why my license would be suspended, since there were no police involved and I was not at fault.
Your original statement referred to both paycheck and direct deposit, which is why I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Of course, your ID cards show valid dates. They are printed 6 months in advance. Did you expect the dates to miraculously change while they were in your wallet?:confused:
If you bought insurance today, and never made another payment, you would have ID cards that show 6 months or 12 months of coverage, because they are printed at the beginning of the policy term.

Your license becomes suspended when the DMV finds out that you are driving uninsured, regardless of the fault of the accident.

minasmomkim

thank you

To those of you who responded with answers I could use....Thanks. To those of you with no life, other than to give smart ass rude responses, GET A LIFE. I specifically typed...and I quote "My insurance is automatically withdrawn from my paycheck, which is DIRECT DEPOSIT." Let me break that down for you, since you were dwelling on the issue, instead of answering my damn question. MY INSURANCE...GETS TAKEN OUT OF MY WAGES, BEFORE I SEE THEM. MY ACTUAL PAYCHECK, WHICH IS REALLY JUST A STATEMENT....IS DIRECT DEPOSIT. Also....it was not "paycheckS" I did not receive. It was one 2 week increment, in which I ended up sending a check for that particular month. The deductions were to continue the next pay period. I didn't feel the need to explain that, because it had nothing to do with what I was asking. I asked 1. "Is the other driver still liable to cover my damage?"

People come to this forum for advice and help. Not for BS and saracasm. Regardless of whether a person "accidentally" lapsed with their insurance, or simply couldn't afford it.....is really none of your business. No one is coming here for criticism, they're already in rough situations. I didn't realize you were such perfect people. Again, kindly get a life, unless you're going to actually help people, without crude commentary.

minasmomkim

thank you

To those of you who responded with answers I could use....Thanks. To those of you with no life, other than to give smart ass rude responses, GET A LIFE. I specifically typed...and I quote "My insurance is automatically withdrawn from my paycheck, which is DIRECT DEPOSIT." Let me break that down for you, since you were dwelling on the issue, instead of answering my damn question. MY INSURANCE...GETS TAKEN OUT OF MY WAGES, BEFORE I SEE THEM. MY ACTUAL PAYCHECK, WHICH IS REALLY JUST A STATEMENT....IS DIRECT DEPOSIT. Also....it was not "paycheckS" I did not receive. It was one 2 week increment, in which I ended up sending a check for that particular month. The deductions were to continue the next pay period. I didn't feel the need to explain that, because it had nothing to do with what I was asking. I asked 1. "Is the other driver still liable to cover my damage?"

People come to this forum for advice and help. Not for BS and saracasm. Regardless of whether a person "accidentally" lapsed with their insurance, or simply couldn't afford it.....is really none of your business. No one is coming here for criticism, they're already in rough situations. I didn't realize you were such perfect people. Again, kindly get a life, unless you're going to actually help people, without crude commentary. Oh, and because I know you'll dignify yourself again with a ridiculous response to satisfy your own ego, I'm telling you in advance that I won't be responding to your trash. Have a great life, I know I will. Kim

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, OP, your attitude turns me off from any desire of even considering offering helpful advice.
Good bye - good riddance

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">