• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit parked car, fled.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beantown

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I hit a parked car and panicked and fled the scene. I know everyone says, "I panicked" but I did. I went back about 30 minutes later to leave my name and number and found the car was gone. Upon returning to my car I saw my front license plate was missing. I can only suspect who I hit has it. I guess I left a calling car. Of course I reported it to my insurance company and told them I hit a parked car and I was trying to figure out who it was. Should I await a summons in the mail (I assume one's coming). I believe this is a criminal offense. I've never been in trouble before. Help !

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Beantown said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I hit a parked car and panicked and fled the scene. I know everyone says, "I panicked" but I did. I went back about 30 minutes later to leave my name and number and found the car was gone. Upon returning to my car I saw my front license plate was missing. I can only suspect who I hit has it. I guess I left a calling car. Of course I reported it to my insurance company and told them I hit a parked car and I was trying to figure out who it was. Should I await a summons in the mail (I assume one's coming). I believe this is a criminal offense. I've never been in trouble before. Help !

My response:

You committed "Hit and Run" - - a felony.

Nice try with your story, though. You only returned AFTER you discovered that your license plate was missing, and went back to the scene of the crime to retrieve it. Only then did you discover it, all with the car you hit, were gone.

A real nice attempt to come up with an alternate story!

But, it really doesn't matter if your scenario or my scenario is correct. You see, at the moment you left the scene, the crime was already committed - - and you coming back to the scene, for whatever reason, doesn't alter that fact - - nor does it make it any better.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">