• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit a pedestrian need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruskicccp

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

i was standing at a stop sign in front of my complex. i was looking to the left for the incoming traffic to pass so i can make a right on to the main road. The conditions were clear and sunny. my windows were not defrosted. when i started to make the right i accidentaly hit the pedestrian with my RIGHT side of the car not noticing him walking. i immediately got out of the car and went over to help the person up. 2 cars pulled in and started claiming they witnessed the accident. when the police showed everyone explained their sides of the story. the pedestrian claimed he was hurt and was taken to the hospital. the police officer gave me a careless driving ticket and said to appear in court.

In the police report:

vehicle 1 was stopped at the intersection. v#1 was attempting to make a right turn. driver of v#1 stated he was blinded by the sun and did not see the pedestrian attempting to cross road. an independent witness stated that v#1 window was completely covered with frost. v#1 pulled out and struck pedestrian. driver of v#1 was issued a summons. the pedestrian was complaining of pain in his leg and transported to the hospital.

first witness said, "a car was stopped at intersection waiting to turn right. a pedestrian was waiting to cross intersection. both proceeded at same time. car struck pedestrian in leg. he fell and appeared hurt but not critical. myself and driver helped him to his feet then sat him down in car. called 911. note: sunny intersection.

second witness said, "from about 200' saw vehicle strike elderly man. he was hit by the LEFT front quarter of vehicle. when i stopped i noticed windshield was not defrosted.

now i dont know wat to do or how to approach this situation. should i hire a lawyer? is it worth getting a lawyer? should i plea not guilty? please help. thank u.

rmet4nzkx

Of course, you will benefit from at least consultation with an attorney, but by your own admission, your vision was obstructed because the windshild was not defrosted and therefore you carelessly turned because you were looking to the left waiting for those cars to pass to make your turn, there were witnesses to that as well and an elderly man on foot was injured, if it wasn't a careless accident, given the facts would you instead claim you hit the man on purpose?
Have you contacted your insurance?

ruskicccp

no i wouldnt claim hitting the pedestrain on purpose but i do believe its my fault for not looking.
i havent contacted my insurance yet
should i let them know about my situation? wat can they do to help?
wat would b the penalties for this situation?
i mean i dont know if its worth paying so much money for a lawyer if this can b solved without him.
if i plea not guilty and speak with the prosecutor will it make a difference. i dont know im so confused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">