• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by rental car. Coverage was declined at the time of rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zuka

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NJ

My car was hit when another driver was changing lanes from left to right. Woman was driving a car rented in PA. She provided her contact/insurance info. I called my insurance agent and reported the accident. After getting all information my agent mailed a letter with necessary reports to the rental claim division (I don’t have physical damage coverage). A guy from rental office called next day and informed me that another driver declined their coverage and they have nothing to do with my claim. They suggested filing the claim with the other driver’s insurance company. Same day I filed the claim with another driver’s primary insurance company. It took almost two months to get the answer from the driver’s primary insurance company.
The answer was: her personal policy is the secondary in that case. Please contact the rental company.

I am not sure what my options are?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
BTW, I have uninsured motorist coverage

stephenk

file a small claim action against the other driver and the rental company (as owner of the car). Once you win your judgment, watch how the insurance company or the rental company comes forward to pay the award.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">