• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zero187g

Hit and Run (but i caught the guy)

What is the name of your state? illinois

i was involved in accident the other day. I was turning right from the right lane when a person turning left on the perpindicular street came into my lane and hit me before i got to turn. He then tried to confuse me and then drove off. I got his plates, and called the police. The guy was caught, and the police gave me the insurance info that he had, and the car belonged to his friend. Considering the circumstances, and if the person was considered to have had consent to drive the car, would the insured's insurance company be obliged to cover the costs to my car repairs? The driver also had no driver's license, and was issued numerous tickets. I'm just a college student and this has me really worried.

Last edited:

Z

zero187g

insurance said to me

I called the insurance company today, and said that they were "still waiting for the facts" from the insured and the driver. She also was waiting to find out if the insured had given the driver permission to drive the car. I didn't mention to her that the driver had no driver. When I asked them about the police report she responded to me "the police reports were made by people, which means there could be errors" and that they take the statement of the insured over the police report. In my opinion, that sounds totally wrong. I also mentioned the fact that it was a hit and run. The adjuster's answer was "it doesn't matter if it was a hit or run, if you rear ended someone and the person you rear ended drove away, it would still be your fault". I know the adjuster is just trying to save money, but that can't justify obvious negligence by the part of the driver and the insured, can it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">