• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whyzacre

I am in California and
My adult son's car was totaled along with 2 other cars on the street outside his house. I was wondering how this works as far as insurance goes.
We have yet to find out if the young man driving was the owner of the car or if it was stolen. The police are dragging their feet. It's been 4 days and they are saying it will be another 5 to 7 days before the police report is available. Meanwhile he is paying storage charges for a completely totaled car.
I was wondering, if the car was stolen whose insurance will cover it and what about the deductable and the additional expenses like towing , storage, and disposal of the vehicle?
Will my son be stuck with these charges if the car turns out to be stolen?
Also, the keys were in the vehicle, would that have an impact if the car did turn out to be stolen?
Thanks for your help. And if anyone knows a good web site for info on California laws concerning this matter I'd appreciate your posting it. Thank you again.
:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

whyzacre said:
I am in California and
My adult son's car was totaled along with 2 other cars on the street outside his house. I was wondering how this works as far as insurance goes.
We have yet to find out if the young man driving was the owner of the car or if it was stolen. The police are dragging their feet. It's been 4 days and they are saying it will be another 5 to 7 days before the police report is available. Meanwhile he is paying storage charges for a completely totaled car.
I was wondering, if the car was stolen whose insurance will cover it and what about the deductable and the additional expenses like towing , storage, and disposal of the vehicle?
Will my son be stuck with these charges if the car turns out to be stolen?
Also, the keys were in the vehicle, would that have an impact if the car did turn out to be stolen?
Thanks for your help. And if anyone knows a good web site for info on California laws concerning this matter I'd appreciate your posting it. Thank you again.
:confused:

My response:

Come back when you've received the Police report. Many of your questions will be answered with the report, and we'll be better prepared to help you when you have all the available information.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">