• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dustin80

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN.
Back on Jan 1,2005, I was involved in a Hit & Run. The car that hit me backed up and went around my car after the guy driving hit me, I got out of the car and advised the person that he hit me. I noticed him throw his hands up, back up and pull around and drove off. Before he drove off, I was able to get his license plate#, and immediately called 911. There was a bolo for the car for the next 48 hours, 4 days later I recieved a call that from the detective that is working my case, he advised me that he went to the persons home and spoke to him, sd that the individual admited to him what had happened, but the detective thought that the damage to his car wasn't substancial enough to have came from my car,so the detective didn't arrest him or press any charges. He advised me that I need to call my insurance, I did that and waited 3 days later, and I recieved a call from my insurance company advising me that they called the person and conducted a phone interview with him and he completely denied having hit my car. So now my insurance company is having me pay for all of it. All though it wouldn't be but about $1,000 plus my deductible. I don't have that kind of money. So my question is: What is my options now? Can "I" press charges against the person, since no other witnesses stopped and gave thier report?

Lynx 36

You can't press charges but you can sue. Make sure you gather evidence he hit your car before you go. If it's just your word vs his you'll lose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">