• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GYORRO

What is the name of your state? Accident was in south carolina but now resides in NY
2yrs ago a hit and run accident occured in my friends car that was lent out to another driver that caused the accident. My friend had no insurance at the time. Only one attempt was made in a letter to contact him saying that he needed to pay 11,000 dollars. My friend cannot obtain a license because of this as it was suspended shortly after this. The damages to the car are estimated at 1,200 which is agreed to be paid with proper documents showing proof of cost. However they are trying now to collect about 10,000 dollars for bodiely injuries and refuse to provide documents proving medical attention was for the accident. My friend contacted their insurance company and spoke with their lawyer and he said that he would knock it down to 6,000 and would not accept installments when my friend offered to. The lawyer said that it is against the law to provide medical bills however that is the only proof that this accident was the cause of the injuries and also proof of accurate costs. The is a police report my friend has that shows a different estimate on damages and the speed the car was driving at 20 miles an hour. We are just trying to resolve this issue because his license is suspended indefinitly until the insurance company sends a letter to the DMV stating the issue was resolved. We are both wondering if he should take them to court and if he will need representation? Also need to know what steps should be taken to correct this problem? The driver that caused the accident is on the police report however no penalties were placed on him and his license was never taken away. Your help and assistance is greatly appreciated.

moburkes

Your friend will need to ID the driver to have even the slightest chance of getting out of this scot-free.

seniorjudge

The lawyer said that it is against the law to provide medical bills however that is the only proof that this accident was the cause of the injuries and also proof of accurate costs.

The lawyer is full of crap.

I think you have a good offer to settle. Take it.

ForFun

The lawyer said that it is against the law to provide medical bills however that is the only proof that this accident was the cause of the injuries and also proof of accurate costs.

The lawyer is full of crap.
Agreed...definitely full of crap. (1) Of course the owner of the medical records can release them to other parties, and (2) if he is forced to sue, he's going to have no choice but to release the records. It's not like the judge is just going to take the guys word for it that his bills amounted to $10k. He's going to have to prove it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">