• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run - Deductible Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FloridaDriver33

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Florida

Last night a hit and run driver hit one of our vehicles that was legally parked curbside in front of the house on a county owned road. The insurance company is insisting that the deductible applies. I feel as though since if the driver had stayed, the at fault party insurance would pay the deductible that we should not have to pay deductible. Can anyone help with advice on how to get our insurance to waive the deductible?
Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

FloridaDriver33 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Florida

Last night a hit and run driver hit one of our vehicles that was legally parked curbside in front of the house on a county owned road. The insurance company is insisting that the deductible applies. I feel as though since if the driver had stayed, the at fault party insurance would pay the deductible that we should not have to pay deductible. Can anyone help with advice on how to get our insurance to waive the deductible?
Thanks!

My response:

I can already tell you don't know what you're talking about because you said, "I feel as though since if the driver had stayed, the at fault party insurance would pay the deductible." How do you know the other party EVEN HAD insurance? The probability of that is very low - - otherwise, the other party probably wouldn't have "run", right?

A hit and run driver is designated as, and treated as, an "Uninsured Motorist". Did you have Uninsured Motorist coverage? If so, did you have Uninsured Motorist Deductible Waiver coverage? Probably not.

IAAL

InsuranceGrl

Uninsured motorist coverage is for bodily injury, unless it's different in your state. The same thing happened to me, and I had to pay my deductible.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

InsuranceGrl said:
Uninsured motorist coverage is for bodily injury, unless it's different in your state. The same thing happened to me, and I had to pay my deductible.

My response:

Sorry, but you're wrong. U.M. also covers collision damages, which is why your insurance paid for your repairs, minus your deductible. Now, if you had the foresight to also purchase U.M. Deductible Waiver coverage, you wouldn't have had to pay your deductible.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">