+ Reply to Thread
    FloridaDriver33 is offline Junior Member

Hit and Run - Deductible Question

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Florida

Last night a hit and run driver hit one of our vehicles that was legally parked curbside in front of the house on a county owned road. The insurance company is insisting that the deductible applies. I feel as though since if the driver had stayed, the at fault party insurance would pay the deductible that we should not have to pay deductible. Can anyone help with advice on how to get our insurance to waive the deductible?
    Thanks!
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDriver33
    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? - Florida

Last night a hit and run driver hit one of our vehicles that was legally parked curbside in front of the house on a county owned road. The insurance company is insisting that the deductible applies. I feel as though since if the driver had stayed, the at fault party insurance would pay the deductible that we should not have to pay deductible. Can anyone help with advice on how to get our insurance to waive the deductible?
    Thanks!

My response:

I can already tell you don't know what you're talking about because you said, "I feel as though since if the driver had stayed, the at fault party insurance would pay the deductible." How do you know the other party EVEN HAD insurance? The probability of that is very low - - otherwise, the other party probably wouldn't have "run", right?

A hit and run driver is designated as, and treated as, an "Uninsured Motorist". Did you have Uninsured Motorist coverage? If so, did you have Uninsured Motorist Deductible Waiver coverage? Probably not.

IAAL
    InsuranceGrl is offline Junior Member
    Uninsured motorist coverage is for bodily injury, unless it's different in your state. The same thing happened to me, and I had to pay my deductible.
    I AM ALWAYS LIABLE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InsuranceGrl
    Uninsured motorist coverage is for bodily injury, unless it's different in your state. The same thing happened to me, and I had to pay my deductible.

My response:

Sorry, but you're wrong. U.M. also covers collision damages, which is why your insurance paid for your repairs, minus your deductible. Now, if you had the foresight to also purchase U.M. Deductible Waiver coverage, you wouldn't have had to pay your deductible.

IAAL