• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run driver claims ignorance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renterguy

What is the name of your state? CA

I came out to my car the other day to find someone had hit it while parked. It ended up being someone who had been at my house, and they later admitted to it. Claim they were driving someone elses car at the time, and have asked me to file a hit and run case and plead ignorance. They say if I do they will have it repaired at a body shop and pay the deductible, but if not they will claim ignorance since there were no witnesses. Now what? If I were to go along with the hit and run story and say I don't know what happened what legal problems could I get myself into?

renterguy

of course its a bad idea, but would i have any repercussions since the driver threatened to deny the whole thing?

MikeKV

I have an idea. Why don't you remind the driver that its very bad to lie to the police and the both of you could get in huge trouble. Request that the driver pay for the damages since they admitted fault and suggest that the both of you not report it to the ins. co.

btw-there's nothing wrong with not reporting an accident to the ins. cos. as long as there's no one hurt and both parties agree to their financial responsibilities. Potential injuries is usually a factor in reporting or not.

Alls well that ends well.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">