• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run Felony but NO alcohol, NO injury (known) and NO damage to the car???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nd959

Hit and Run Felony Question?

What is the name of your state?Florida

Early this past December, my mother was backing out of a parking spot at a local college campus while another car was coming down the lane, and they connected. Only my mother's car was damaged, and she was asking the other driver what she wanted to do about this (settle w/out insurance, etc). The girl in the other car took my mom's tag info, and drove off. My mother tried to follow her in her car to get the tag info, but the driver evaded her.

My mother, not thinking, starts to try to call me, and our neighbor (who is the police lieutenant in one of the local cities), but neither of us were at our phones. Thinking that she didn't have any options, since she didn't have a tag number, she left campus, and went to get an estimate on the damage. She did not call the police.

Later that day, she gets a call from the campus police a few hours later after she arrives at home. The policeman says she did a hit and run, and that the other car was at the scene when he arrived (Apparently, she went back after my mom left. Can you believe it?!?!) We just found out today that the police officer is charging her with a felony. We've been told that if she is found guilty, she could serve over 1 year sentence.

Let me restate that there was NO damage to the other car. My mom's bumper has a small corner dent. Also her record is squeaky clean. This is her 2nd accident in almost 10 years. My ?'s:

1. What are the chances that this ridiculous, lying girl can actually win this case?
2. Since she has no vehicular damage, what can the girl be trying to gain from this? could she be hoping to settle out of court for $?
3. My mother has not involved her insurance company, as she figured she would cover her damage out of pocket. Is there any reason to involve them?

Please advise. Also would you pls. note whether you are in the legal field, or if you've been a plaintiff/defendant in a trial like this. Thanks. :mad:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">