• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run, got driver. Thinking of Suit - Advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darrenjk

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My wife and I were stopped at a stop light when we heard skidding and got slammed from behind. Our 3 week old car got hit, then the guy hopped the curb and took off. Luckily, the guy behind him followed him and got the tag. The police came and did find the driver and his car and charged him with leaving the scene of an accident and failure to control speed to avoid a collision. Our six month old was in the car, but appears to be fine. Both my wife and I have back and neck pain, and have seen a doctor. I am in PT and have been ordered time off work - a week, plus follow up PT, court, and doctor appts. Our rental is not even close to what our new vehicle was, as far as safety features and otherwise. We bought the minivan three weeks ago in large part because we will be taking a 1200 mile trip.

What advice do people have? We are thinking of talking to a lawyer.

Lynx 36

Call it in to your own insurance unless you have experience in dealing in these matters. Paying your deductable will save you a lot of hassle down the road. If the other insurance company accepts liability your insurance company can subrogate them f/ damages paid out and eventually you would get your deductable back. Hopefully you have rental coverage on your policy.

If not you can let the other company handle it. Expect to wait f/ them to do an investigation and then decide liability. Insurance companies gather the facts and backgrounds before paying anything. If the other company does handle they should provide you a rental equivelant to the one damaged.

As far as your injuries go I don't have enough of a background to comment on them. Getting a lawyer doesn't necessarily guarantee more money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">