• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karamorgan

What is the name of your state? CA

I was hoping that someone would have some helpful advice...here is a quick overview of what happened:
I pulled my car up in front of my apartment where I was unloading groceries out of the trunk (for future reference this is behind spaces 5 and 6, although not directly behind.) On one of my trips inside, I heard a crunch, went outside saw the car from Space #5 (assigned parking at our complex) driving away from my car with a ding on their bumper and white paint, fresh. I saw that my driver side door had been smashed and I can barely open it. I planned to get the liscense plate from the vehicle when it returned, however it has not returned, and miraculously a new pickup is now parking in that space. My problem is this...When the police officer came to file a report on the accident, the apartment manager would not release the subsequent apartment that goes with the space that backed into my car for "privacy reasons." The cop then told me there is nothing that they can do since they don't even know who's door to go knock on. Is the apartment complex correct in not releasing this info to the police when it deals with a crime??? If so, what is my next step?? My insurance co. will make me pay full $1000 deductible since the other driver can't be implicated....PLEASE HELP!!! I want to know what my next steps are without having to hire an expensive attorney! Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">