• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

syda

Anyone know what to do in the event of a hit and run? I want to make sure that if I send this over to my insurance that my premiums won't go up.

JETX

Yes. First, contact the police and get a police report made.
Second, contact your insurance company.

If the suspect is caught and if the vehicle/driver had insurance, his/her insurance should repair your vehicle. If the suspect is NOT caught (or doesn't have insurance), then your insurance would pay for the repairs to your vehicle, less your deductible.

If the claim was not your fault (as you describe), your insurance premiums should not be affected.

tammy8

Uninsured motorist coverages do not cause your premiums to increase...unless you have a certain number of claims within a certains period (ie 3 claims in 3 years or less).

If the accident was not your fault, and you can't find the hitter, get an estimate and minus the cost of your deductible. Then weigh out if the cost of losing your claim free discounts (some companies give these) and also weigh out any other if any claims. If you have a good agent, they should be able to tell you what you would be facing in the long run.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">