• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run.. Insurance DENIED my claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahnickel4yakiss

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

I need some advice. I was involved in an accident in which i was not even in the car. I was parked at a meter on a busy street. Came back to my car and noticed damage to my front end. Looked around and no one witnessed it. No license number no description of the other vehicle either. Filed a police report also. Talked to my insurance agent (from Farmers) and he said as long as i file a report it should be taken care of except the deductible. Then i receive a letter from my insurance saying they deny my claim because "A person claiming any coverage under this endorsement must identify the owner or operator of the uninsured motor vehicle or identify the uninsured motor vehicle by its license number." Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lynx 36

ahnickel4yakiss said:

I need some advice. I was involved in an accident in which i was not even in the car. I was parked at a meter on a busy street. Came back to my car and noticed damage to my front end. Looked around and no one witnessed it. No license number no description of the other vehicle either. Filed a police report also. Talked to my insurance agent (from Farmers) and he said as long as i file a report it should be taken care of except the deductible. Then i receive a letter from my insurance saying they deny my claim because "A person claiming any coverage under this endorsement must identify the owner or operator of the uninsured motor vehicle or identify the uninsured motor vehicle by its license number." Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
They are correct in not paying your claim on uninsured motorist. If the person who hit you can't be identified this coverage would not apply here. You have to use your collision coverage. Lastly, agents don't determine coverage, claims adjustors do.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ahnickel4yakiss said:

My response:

The insurance company is correct. This requirement prevents fraud.

IAAL

ahnickel4yakiss

I've posted this situation in a few other forums and have gotten responses in which the insurance company did pay for the damages. What I don't understand is how come it didn't work with me even though it wasn't my fault? Was it my fault that I wasn't sitting in my car the whole time waiting for something like this to happen?

Lynx 36

ahnickel4yakiss said:
So if I do use collision coverage, my premium will go up correct?
Anytime you call in a claim your premium could go up, no matter what coverage you are using.

ahnickel4yakiss

Since I did call in and get a claim number but later got my claim denied, nothing should change with my insurance correct? Since everything is coming out of my own pocket to fix all the damages.

Lynx 36

ahnickel4yakiss said:
I've posted this situation in a few other forums and have gotten responses in which the insurance company did pay for the damages. What I don't understand is how come it didn't work with me even though it wasn't my fault? Was it my fault that I wasn't sitting in my car the whole time waiting for something like this to happen?
You not being at fault has no bearing on what type of coverage is to be used here. OP not identified, can't use uninsured. Like IAAL said, it helps prevent fraud. You need to read your policy and it will explain to you what coverages you can use in certain situations.

For example, if a tree limb fell on your car you would have to use your comprehensive coverage. Collision coverage would not apply in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">