• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

japowell

What is the name of your state? PA
State of accident is PA.
My wife and I were involved in a hit&run accident on 7/05/06. They first totaled my truck, but later settled for a lower settlement because I didn't want to lose my truck ($5500).
My wife started her pain and suffering settlement last year (1/07).
She experienced neck and back pain, was treated by a chiropractor for 8 months and had a total $12,000 in medical bills.
4 months ago they (State Farm) offered her $2000
4 months later their offer is $1000
We lived in Delaware at the time of the accident and now live in Indiana. I don't feel our lawyer is doing his best. It takes too long for him to get back to us and it took at least 7 months for him to get the medical bills from 3 places.
I on the other hand have what I think is going to be a lifetime of pain. I have a herniated disc (L4 and L5), have had 4 epidural injections and 1 facet joint injection. Chiropractor treatment and Physical theraphy, but still the issue exists. I have not settled my case yet because I am still under-going treatment (not sure if I'll continue the injections, as they only last a few months). I know I am at least up to about $30,000 in bills.

2 Questions:
1) Is it hard to drop my lawyer who took my case up front (pending the outcome)? Pay him for the little work hes done and the long distance phone calls... lol
2) Is the insurance company low balling my wife because they still have to deal with me?
The lawyer's first sent an offer of $35k, the second time was for $13k.

Thanks

Last edited:

ecmst12

Whose insurance company are you dealing with?

You have a contract with your lawyer. You can't just fire him. You should not expect anything to happen quickly.

ecmst12

Can't comment much on that. Honestly her medical bills sound really excessive for chiro treatment only, even for 8 months. If the bills are found to be excessive, then the amount of the medical bills will not be taken into account when determining a settlement offer. $2k for soft tissue injury only, with no permanent damage and chiro or PT treatment only doesn't sound unreasonable. But I don't handle BI cases, only PD.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">