• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run Related Civil case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

castorpnc

What is the name of your state? California and Washington.

My Father hit a person and ran away. But he turned himself in within an hour of accident occured. At that time, the detective sent him home explaining that he will be ok. However, he got a call from the detective a month later and he got arrested. My father is old and scared at that time and he didn't know that he was supposed to stay at the accident scene. Now he is out of jail by bail. Do you think my father is going to face serious charges even though he turned in himself right away?

My second question is this.
The car my father was driving was under two people's ownership. In other words, my father and myself are the co-owners of the car. People say that the opposing party (victim of the accident) will come after me once they max up the insurance limit, which is 50G, 100G, 50G. Can anybody tell me what will happen step by step? Should I be prepared for the civil defense case?
:confused:

castorpnc

One thing I forgot to tell you above

The accident happened in California last November, and I live in Washington since August.

If they file a civil case against me, then should they file in Washington?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

castorpnc said:
The accident happened in California last November, and I live in Washington since August.

If they file a civil case against me, then should they file in Washington?

My response:

Yes, the family will go after your father AND you for wrongful death. You had better hope that $50,000.00 will be enough. And yes, they can sue you from California. Why? Because you owned property here in California - - the car.

IAAL

nanaII

Wrongful death??

Did I miss something? Poster, you said your father hit "someone". I'm assuming you meant he was in a car accident, and the (someone) was another car, right?

castorpnc

Clear understanding of the accident

He hit a pedestrian and that person is injured, not dead.
I was told by my lawyer saying that this person went on the surgery but this person will not be handicapped.

And, laughing at somebody's harsh situation is not cool in anycase.
Some people who lived their life very quiet and without any trouble can miss the very basic things when they are scared.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

castorpnc said:
He hit a pedestrian and that person is injured, not dead.
I was told by my lawyer saying that this person went on the surgery but this person will not be handicapped.

And, laughing at somebody's harsh situation is not cool in anycase.
Some people who lived their life very quiet and without any trouble can miss the very basic things when they are scared.

My response:

"Miss the very basic things"?

How do you miss something "basic" like staying at the scene of an accident, and rendering aid?

You see, no matter how you want to "spin" your father's situation, he made a conscious decision to "run". That's a felony in California, and there's no excuse for running.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">