• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by a snow plow...their insurance won't pay!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apl08

What is the name of your state? IL

My car was parked on the street and hit by a snow plow. The village told me to bring in 3 estimates so they could determine whether they would pay out of pocket or go through their insurance. Upon seeing the $3500-4500 estimates they told me their insurance would call me. The insurance did call me, but to say that they are denying liability because "even though I was not issued a ticket, they were informed by the village that there was a 'no parking after 2" of snow' sign so I was parked illegally".

At the time I parked my car, there was not 2" of snow (I don't know how much there was when the accident happened). Since I was not ticketed, who is liable? I don't think the driver of the plow was ticketed, either. Thanks in advance.

ecmst12

There is no such thing as negligent parking. File with your insurance and let them collect from the city. UNLESS there is a specific ordinence excepting snow plows from liability for striking parked cars, I don't see how the driver can get out of liability. You can always sue the driver in small claims court if you have no other option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">