• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit by a stolen police crusier

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

burdav1199

I am from Massachusetts and I was hit by a stolen police crusier. The person who stole it is a homeless man who obviously has no insurance. I do have collision which should cover the remainder of my loan. Do I have any other rights that I am unaware of? No one was hurt thank God, as my 8 year old daughter was also in the blazer with me. Having been burned by not knowing my rights in a forclosure case 4 years ago I do not want to be burned again. If there is nothing more to be done than the collsion paying for the loan that is fine. Thanks.

racer72

The insurance of the register owner of the police cruiser should pay for the damage. Virtally all government owned vehicles are by what is known as self insurance. You should file a claim with the owner of the vehicle (state, city, county, etc) for any and all cost associated with the accident. Keep receipts for every thing and only submit copies, not originals, with the claim. The claim will be reviewed by the legal entity that owned the vehicle and they will determine if the claim is valid. I would use the words negligence and lack of responsibility in the claim. It should not be easy to steal a police car. Why put in a claim to your insurance for something that you were not responsible for? It will make your rates go up and cost you money in the long run. In fact, your insurance company may help you in filing for the claim. It saves them money and the claim will be put together by a professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">