• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit truck making u-turn on interstate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L321

Hi, I am in Kentucky. I was in the left lane on interstate and a construction pickup switches from the right to left lane in front of me. About an eighth of a mile later he suddenly stops and makes a u-turn next to a "no u-turn" sign and I hit him in the rear. He says he was lost and was sorry and his insurance would take care of it. This was not a work zone and he hadn't started work yet. His truck has zero damage and my car is totalled. I called his insurance company and they said I was following to close and I hit him and they was not paying and if I didn't agree to take it to court. The police report has factors listed as me following to close and him making an improper turn. The distance between us was about 5-6 car lengths, which is what he left between us when he changed lanes. Can they really say that someone can stop in the left lane of interstate with no warning and make an illegal turn and have no responsibility whatsoever for what happens? My car is fairly old and I think my best option now is to take the driver to small claims court for my car. Thanks for any advice or tips you may have!

shortbus

The fact that his turn happened to be illegal doesn't get you off the hook. If he had to stop for a pedestrian, it wouldn't have changed the outcome: you would've hit him, because you were following too close. It was your negligence that caused the accident, not his.

teflon_jones

L321 said:
Can they really say that someone can stop in the left lane of interstate with no warning and make an illegal turn and have no responsibility whatsoever for what happens?
They didn't say this. They indicated on the report that the driver made an improper turn. This indicates fault on his part, in addition to your fault for following too close. What has your insurance company said about this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">