• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by a truck while crossing the street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RJK32

What is the name of your state? Virginia

A couple months ago my fiance was crossing a 4 way stop sign intersection and was hit by a pick up truck. The guy driving the truck arrived at the intersection after she started to cross the street on the opposite side of the intersection. She paused to let him advance and as he drove by he saw a friend and was waving at his friend, paying no attention to the road and plowed her over. The guy helped her up and walked her to the grocery store across the street where her mother was shopping. He left his first name and telephone number and took off. Note: No police report was filed. The next day she had to go to the ER due to injuries and ended up having her ribs severely bruised. We have been trying to call this guy up for months and he constantly avoids us. When he does answer his phone when we call from an unidentified number he will hang up or say that he is losing signal on his cell. Recently I was able to obtain his full name and address using an investigation service online using his telephone number. Do we have a strong enough case to bring him to small claims court for an amount of approximately $1,000 (reimbursement of medical bills and 3 days of missed work)? I am concerned about the lack of a police report. What can I do to build a case against him without a report?

ecmst12

What you need to do is find out his insurance information if you can. An attorney may be able to help you with that. She could recover more then just her medical bills, potentially, if she obtains representation. Now that she has the full name and address of the driver, she should have a consultation with a personal injury attorney and see what he/she thinks.

MikeKV

Would it be wise to still contact the police along with the driver's insurance co.? I think it couldn't hurt contacting the police and the police still might want to investigate the incident. Overall it might help your case.

ecmst12

A couple of MONTHS later? Not really. They MIGHT be able to help you get his insurance info, but then again he might not. A lawyer definitely will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">