• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by UIM while on the job.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almstsobur

I work for a large local government entity and I am required for my job to provide my own transportation, I am compensated monthly via a per mile rate. Last week I went to a local job site in my car and then stopped for lunch, on my way back to work a Unlicensed, uninsured motorist completely ran a stop sign and totaled my car. I do have insurance, but I only carry Liability, not full coverage or UIM coverage. So at this point I am out a vehicle. Is there any way I can persue my place of employment for compensation to the property damage to my vehicle since the require me to provide my own transportation?

I live in California, and there were no injuries involved in the accident. The person who hit me is not even a legal citizen to the United States.

Thank You for any advice.

almstsobur

One more thing I thought I would add; From what I can see I would fall under excpection 4 of the workers comp “coming and going” rule.

“A fourth exception to the going and coming rule applies when the employer requires the employee to drive his or her own vehicle to work so that the vehicle will be available for use for the employer’s business during the workday”

am I wrong in assuming that workers comp only applied to injuries, and not property damage?

stephenk

WC only applies to your injuries and time missed from work. property damage to your car is your own responsibility to insure.

The per mile rate paid by your carrier is to reimburse you for the wear and tear on your car. How old is your car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">