• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by uninsured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drkilldrmz

What is the name of your state? Maine

Hello. My girlfriend was driving my chevy blazer when she was rear-ended. The police report says roughly 1800$ damage was done to my truck. His car is totalled. My insurance had lapsed 1 week ago. I have been driving a company vehicle. He was definately at fault, and the report states that. He was a sumalian man, and his insurance company says he probably wasn't insured at the time of the accident. They also won't tell me weather or not he was insured. If i don't have an insurance company of my own to fight for me, shouldn't they have to release that information to me?.. And if it turns out that he is not insured, What can be done to get paid for my damages?
Also, if he is here on a visa, and a judgement is found against him, is that something i can use?. thank you..

JETX

drkilldrmz said:
He was a sumalian man, and his insurance company says he probably wasn't insured at the time of the accident. They also won't tell me weather or not he was insured. If i don't have an insurance company of my own to fight for me, shouldn't they have to release that information to me?
Nope. Simply file a claim against HIS insurance. They will tell you if he is insured or not.

And if it turns out that he is not insured, What can be done to get paid for my damages?
Your only recourse is to sue him, presumably in small claims court. However, if he has no non-exempt assets, your suit (and presumably judgment) won't be worth much.

Also, if he is here on a visa, and a judgement is found against him, is that something i can use?
Depending on his residency status, possibly. Immigration/BCIS doesn't like persons who break the law or ignore their obligation(s) to others.

D

drkilldrmz

Thank you.. It was actually his insurance company that won't tell me if he is insured. Im sure it will come out eventually, but im now thinking that they have ways to make it difficult for me to research this on my own. I don't know if i need to get a lawyer yet, because thay won't tell me his insured status.

BelizeBreeze

drkilldrmz said:
Thank you.. It was actually his insurance company that won't tell me if he is insured. Im sure it will come out eventually, but im now thinking that they have ways to make it difficult for me to research this on my own. I don't know if i need to get a lawyer yet, because thay won't tell me his insured status.
If you have his information (name, tag number, etc.) and his insurance company, simply contact the Insurance Commissioner for your state and ask them to intervene to determine if the company did, in fact, insure the driver at the time of the incident.

OR, hire an attorney.

JETX

drkilldrmz said:
Why dick around with this. Simply file a lawsuit against him. If he is insured, they will provide counsel for him. If not insured, they won't. Pretty simple.

BelizeBreeze

JETX said:
Why dick around with this. Simply file a lawsuit against him. If he is insured, they will provide counsel for him. If not insured, they won't. Pretty simple.
I need to simplify :D I guess I'm still hoping to get paid by the word :D:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">