• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by uninsured driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinballguy

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi, I am not in Florida, but my friend who was hit is, and I am asking on his behalf.

Recently, he was rear-ended at a red light by an uninsured motorist who was driving a friend's car. This caused severe damage to my friend's car.

How would he best approach recovering repair costs to his vehicle? Is the car owner's (the car that hit my friend) insurance liable, even though it was his friend who was driving? Or should he file a lawsuit against the driver (low-life with little or no income/assets)? Or is it a no-fault state and he should file a claim with his OWN insurance?

Thanks!

divgradcurl

He should claim it on his own insurance, that way if someone needs to get sued, the insurance company can handle it.

ecmst12

He CAN file the claim with his own insurance. But if the owner of the other car was insured, their insurance should cover it unless the owner is saying that the car was stolen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">