• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit by uninsured driver,my insurance won't cover what now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwhite

Colorado here,
Was hit by uninsured driver. First clue was missing exp. date on insurance card he handed me... Evidently lied to state because on state patrols report they have exp. date, his former insurance company has no records of him renewing coverage. My insurance won't cover because I have bodily injury liability and not property.
He was ticketed for accident. My car was damaged pretty badly, imagine it will blue book out. Where do I go from here?

Last edited:

JETX

"Where do I go from here?"
*** Down to your local small claims court and file against the uninsured driver for your 'damages'.

H

hkolln

Similar thing happened to me but I'm in Florida...hit by a man who's insurance lapsed 3 days prior to the accident...he backed up into me in a parking lot...got cited for improper backing...

Did you get a police report? I had to take the police report plus 2 damage estimates to small claims court...they allowed the lower of the two. FIled, he was served, didn't show up and I got judgement...in 2/2001 and he hasn't paid a cent since....What good is a judgement when you can't collect on it? Now with interest he owes me 939.00....after waiting over a year for payment and mailing numerous certified letters which he didn't pick up I contacted my states "bureau of financial responsibility" in the capital- Tallahassee...found out I could suspend his driving privileges and mailed them a copy of the police report along with a certified copy of the judgement. They in turn suspended his driver's license, tags, and registration!

Within 3 weeks of this (12/2002) he called me and wanted to make payment arrangements...seems he needs his license back for work YEAH RIGHT...I said NO WAY...you pay me in full then I will send you a satisfaction of judgement....he stewed for a week...had his father call me and complain, etc....and today I got a call from his father stating he would give his son the money tomorrow!!! It will be a bank check and then I will do his satisfaction of judgement once it's cashed...I do not trust him ONE BIT....

I'd advise you to see if your state has this type of laws...take him/her to small claims court...I hope you got a police report cause that will be in your favor. Sue them...get your judgement then suspend their driving privileges if they don't pay up! That would be my suggestion....It worked for me after 2 1/2 yrs...just don't wait too long.

Good luck!
Helen
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">