• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by uninsured motorist who ran

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeremy928

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

Hello everyone,
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of my was recently driving my car and was hit by another driver. The driver then ran off. We called the police and filed a report and the police pulled the car over later that day. The driver didn't have any insurance information and also had possession of stolen property and was concealing a weapon. The police released the driver (I guess to pick him up at a latter date). I do have uninsured motorist on my policy, but my insurance agent told me that it only covers injuries and not property damages due to an uninsured motorist.

What do I need to do at this point?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jeremy928 said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?Oklahoma

Hello everyone,
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of my was recently driving my car and was hit by another driver. The driver then ran off. We called the police and filed a report and the police pulled the car over later that day. The driver didn't have any insurance information and also had possession of stolen property and was concealing a weapon. The police released the driver (I guess to pick him up at a latter date). I do have uninsured motorist on my policy, but my insurance agent told me that it only covers injuries and not property damages due to an uninsured motorist.

What do I need to do at this point?

My response:

Well, let's see . . .

Hmmm - - you had insufficient insurance, and the other guy had no insurance, and is a thief.

Hmmm.

Just what do you think this guy's financial value is in life? Well, I guess you can sue him. But, if he didn't have the money for insurance, just what do you think you'll get from him when you receive a judgment?

Or, you can wait to see what happens at his criminal trial to find out if the judge orders him to pay restitution. However, that could take a long, long, time.

So, the most expedient thing to do would be to pay for the repairs to your own car. Oh, and pay for more insurance coverage. By the looks of these forums today, this "hit and run" driver is doing a lot of damage to a lot of people!

IAAL

Jeremy928

IAAL,
The guy (a minor) was driving a pretty nice truck. I would imagine the truck is in his parents name. I don't know what his parents' status in life is (or if I can even go after them). Can I go after his parents? Should I call him to try to settle out of court? Should the police let a driver go under these circumstances?

On insurance at what point do you draw the line? My car is an 82 Porsche 928 that I drive very infrequently. I have a perfect driving record with every available discount but my age (23) does it do me. It seems a little stupid to insure a car fully at the cost of almost $5000 a year when the car is only worth $8-$10k. I didn't consider my insurance to be insufficient and still don't. I shouldn't be responsible for someone elses negligence. Point the finger at the guilty party here, not the victim. Insufficient insurance isn't the problem, just people like him (which is why insurance is so high anyway)

Thanks for the reply,
Jeremy

lwpat

Find out who is the registered owner of the truck. Then file suit against the owner and the kids parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">