• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit by uninsured, unauthorized rental driver, who to sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phantom1584

What is the name of your state? IL

I was at an intersection (not moving) waiting for a red light to turn, when someone hit me in the right rear, causing about $1,500 in damages.

The person that hit me had no insurance, no drivers license, and was driving a rental car that she wasn't authorized to drive. She was issued 3 tickets.

I have a 1K deductable for collision, and no uninsured motorist collision insurance.

Who should I go after to get my 1,000 deductible back? The rental car agency, the guy that rented the car, or the driver of the car that hit me? The person that rented the car didn't get any insurance through the rental agency, and I'm not sure yet if the person who rented the car has any insurance either.

B

blameshifting

The driver is almost certainly at fault but like most people who don't have a drivers license or insurance is a deadbeat and likely doesn't have any assets or income you could get at.

If the person who rented the car let the driver use the vehicle then it's probably that he would be liable as well. His personal auto insurance might provide coverage.

You haven't provided any information that would suggest that the rental car company did anything to cause your damages.

Remember that your damages aren't limited to the cost of repairs to your vehicle, you may have other damages such as loss of use, time off from work, etc. If you think you suffered any injuries you should contact an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">